warps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warps

bloody hell, it looks like a significant amount of my records got some slight warping.
    i guess i just had too many house movings during the last 3 years.
    some of them are still playable, some skip for the first third of each side.
    it's a nightmare, strangely i'm not really upset, but still would like to hear ideas how i can get rid of those nasty warps.

i guess stacking them tight isn't really an option, as the warps are pretty unremarkable.

i might try the sun and glass thing, but it will take me ages to fix them all...
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

I have managed to ruin a copy of Sonoton-Pollution by leaving it near the window on a very hot summer day. Every few months I pull it out and feel like an idiot and put it back. I tried to fix a few other warped 45s using hot water an a glass plate but that didnt really improve anything but I did burn my fingers.
    As long as they are playable I suggest you just live with it and move on.

Maybe you can get a cheap version of this.

http://www.dienadel.de/nagaoka+gl-602.htm

Basically a glass record that somehow (science!) sucks the record closer to the surface. could be an option?
    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

yea, i'll probably move on and then come back in years time or sumthin asking for dewarping ideas.
      i guess every tenth record i have is now warped, and it striked me especially hard today when i tried to play the bill quick lp... i could live without the 60s psych....but bill quick!?!?

Comment

i'd like to think that two of those hightech glass thingies would dewarp a record within minutes...

Comment

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/75...le_Accessories

maybe you can build yourself one of these? Two flat metalplates and a few screws will do probably.

Me personally I dont put records in the oven as a rule.
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

maybe you can build yourself one of these? Two flat metalplates and a few screws will do probably.

Looks like a sandwich toaster

I know we've had the discussion before but I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has a successful method
            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

nah, you don't understand, i'm basically looking for a device that will fix at least 20 records in one go with like a 90% success rate.
              and it would have to be diy conform... and cheap.

edit: operated by a robot would be an option.

Comment

Ask on Waxidermy for someone who has a dewarping machine.
                "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Try using a record clamp. Holds the records firmly onto the platter. Never tried one myself but could help and worth a punt.

Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep View Post
                    nah, you don't understand, i'm basically looking for a device that will fix at least 20 records in one go with like a 90% success rate.
                    and it would have to be diy conform... and cheap.

edit: operated by a robot would be an option.

easy!
                    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

A family member was a glazier so a few years ago I asked if they could make 2 glass two inch thick strengthened glass plates, thirteen inches in diameter with a spindle hole aligned
                      right in the middle of each one.
                      I got 'em made and was told the cost would have been around 80 quid for a normal customer to have done.
                      Said plates go in the oven on a VERY low heat for about 5 minutes, applied to my Technics SL1210 modded deck they de-warp any knackered record.
                      Cheers!
                      Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Presumably they are all warped in similar way (stacked badly, over time or with weight unevenly placed on them?)

If so, try just aligning the warps, curling upwards too, and stack them in a pile with some encylopaedias on 'em and leave them for a few weeks!
                        "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by Mondays Child View Post
                          A family member was a glazier so a few years ago I asked if they could make 2 glass two inch thick strengthened glass plates, thirteen inches in diameter with a spindle hole aligned
                          right in the middle of each one.
                          I got 'em made and was told the cost would have been around 80 quid for a normal customer to have done.
                          Said plates go in the oven on a VERY low heat for about 5 minutes, applied to my Technics SL1210 modded deck they de-warp any knackered record.
                          Cheers!
                          sounds interesting. i consider trying this.
                          what's the hole for? do you press them together with a screw?

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                            Presumably they are all warped in similar way (stacked badly, over time or with weight unevenly placed on them?)

If so, try just aligning the warps, curling upwards too, and stack them in a pile with some encylopaedias on 'em and leave them for a few weeks!
                            same warp style yes. worth a try i'd say.

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X