Clodagh Rodgers/Keith Mansfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clodagh Rodgers/Keith Mansfield

A good week for long-shot punts, as I dropped a few unwanteds in at Rob's yesterday and picked up an RCA set from 1972 by Clodagh Rodgers called 'It's Different Now'. Unpromising tracklist, but Keith Mansfield production, and pretty good takes on 'Help Me Make It Through The Night', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow', 'Natural Woman', and a cut called 'Get It Together' that was DEFINITELY ripped by Primal Scream for 'Come Together'. Bit MOR in places, fair enough, but not bad at all, and a search of the site & forum hinted it's not been previously discussed by returning no matches. Worth a listen...

The other pick-up, incidentally, was a 1973 set called 'Non Stop Carole King' by The Sunset Festival Orchestra (Pete Smith) on Sunset. A quick track through sounds promising, but will report back later once I've heard it properly...
    Last edited by wayne; 11-03-2005, 01:54 PM.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

I think I've got the Clodagh Rodgers, and as you say, there's some nice stuff from da Mans - I remember some OK arrangements courtesy of the great Johnny Arthey too.

I think the intro from one track on this LP was taken by Kenny Everett, looped, and turned into a jingle for his Radio 1 show - with his overdubbed voices, the effect was quite haunting, and actually much better than the original record!

I like the Non-Stop Carol King too, but then Pete Smith never disappoints - I think there was a Non-Stop Carpenters LP arranged by someone else too, but I can't remember whether I've got it or not.

Comment

Nice, not got that one but will pick it up if I see it. I've got a couple of her other albums...check out her ace version of Under The Boardwalk on the self titled one and The Wolf on Rodgers & Heart. She's certainly better than the average Eurovision entry!

A guy called Artie Butler does a couple of nice arrangements for her, including The Wolf. Who he then?
      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Yeah, some nice Johnny Arthey on the ones I've got as well Lord T. Think I've got a spare of the s/t one. It'll be included in my trades list very soon...I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
          I like the Non-Stop Carol King too, but then Pete Smith never disappoints - I think there was a Non-Stop Carpenters LP arranged by someone else too, but I can't remember whether I've got it or not.
          There's a Sunset Festival Orchestra 'Non Stop Mancini' advertised on the back of the LP, too - and I've heard a Pete Smith Orchestra Bob Dylan LP (on Fontana, I think) as well, but that wasn't non-stop...

No Johnny Arthey arrangements on the Clodagh LP, but some by Steve Gray & Pete Smith as well as Mansfield. The Imagine's on now, and much as I hate that song, it's a lovely arrangement, I must say.

Much improved with sleighbells, stirring horn/string bits, and gauzy female vocals, for sure!
          Last edited by wayne; 11-03-2005, 02:59 PM.
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
            A guy called Artie Butler does a couple of nice arrangements for her, including The Wolf. Who he then?
            http://www.artiebutler.com/

A new name to me, too - but yes, his stuff pretty good!

Wayne - you must have a different LP to me then. Johnny Arthey did a few arrangements for Clodagh, (including the infamous Jack In The Box) and the late Arthur Greenslade did some too, both very underrated arrangers I think.

'Come Back And Shake Me' is a great record too!

Comment

I like Come Back and Shake Me as well. Looks like Artie did a few of my favourite Brill Building pop as well - Cherry Cherry, The Boy From New York City...will definitely keep an eye out for his name.

Comment

her version of Under The Boardwalk is fantastic, couldn't agree more...
                http://www.blaxploitation.com
                Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                X