Goodbye Jackie Trent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Jackie Trent...

I was saddened to hear of Jackie Trent's passing on the radio today. Largely underrated as a singer, she at least had her moment in the sun with 'Where Are You Now', a record that was good enough to do battle with anything Burt Bacharach and Barbara Acklin could have come up with...

The Hatch/Trent songwriting partnership was one of the most successful of the sixties, both in Britain and around the world. Together they had a talent for composing pop songs that were as unpretentious as they were infectious and which, looking back, seem to encapsulate the popular optimism of those times much better than the more esoteric offerings of many of their contemporaries. This one always cheers me up...

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Another talent gone.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Was just listening to one of the Trent/Hatch LPs on Friday, spookily enough - one of the lesser spotted ones on Columbia. Pretty good listen and there are a couple of very groovy pure "EZ" tracks therein, one of which pre-empts the Gallagher boys by 20 years in shamelessly ripping off "Let It Be".
        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

That's a shame.

Couple of faves...

Comment

Jackie + Tony also had a hand in helping Stoke City into the Top 40 in 1972.
            Some 40 years on it is still played at all Stoke City home games and reached #34 on the charts,
            and it's even on her own label! Stoke beat Chelsea 2–1 in the final too.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

What sad news!
              My personal fave:
              DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Another Hatch/Trent pure pop classic....

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Working...
                X