Classic Rock Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Rock Magazine

Just a heads up that the latest (May) issue is worth picking up, as it is a homage to vinyl - based around 250 pieces of vinyl "you must own", it also has articles on collecting, hi-fi, fairs etc...... Never bought a copy of this magazine and probably never will again, but this issue is quite good fun
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

It's quite a good mag - used to read the copies that came into work and always something interesting plus they commission really good artwork... that said, never actually bought one...

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
      Just a heads up that the latest (May) issue is worth picking up, as it is a homage to vinyl - based around 250 pieces of vinyl "you must own", it also has articles on collecting, hi-fi, fairs etc...... Never bought a copy of this magazine and probably never will again, but this issue is quite good fun
      What examples can you give of the 250 records? Are they like, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, SF Sorrow, OK Computer etc.. or ones that are generally not seen on other lists? Curious.

Comment

I imagine its the LPs pictured on the cover.
        It seems to me Classic Rock Magazine is aimed at people who know little or nothing about rock music
        OR enjoy reading again what they already know:

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Best that is the first and only time 'Faust' have made the cover of Classic Rock magazine.
          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
            Best that is the first and only time 'Faust' have made the cover of Classic Rock magazine.
            There are a few anomolies too: back covers, inner sleeves, inside of gatefolds, 45 covers.
            Ziggy Stardust appears twice.

Comment

Everyone loves to groove to Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime, The Gaye Bykers On Acid - Drill Your Own Hole and, of course, The Dogs D'Amour.

Comment

Only got 12 of them - and must have let at least another 12 go over the years
                Perhaps we should send them our attempt at the 1,001 albums you should hear before you die?

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...highlight=1001
                "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                  Yes, true. Same for Caravan perhaps.
                  Good to see Radio Birdman there. One of my fave bands of all time but don;t recognise the album cover.
                  It;s kind of funny. Seems they were trying to avoid the usual ones/cliches as they made their way down the columns and they got frustrated or something after running out of ideas and someone in charge said: "you know what? fuck it! - let;s just fill in the hole." The last 3 horizontal columns alone of 42, contain nearly half of the standard, usual ones we always hear about: Are you experienced, Phys grafffiti, DsotMoon, sticky fingers, NMTbollocks, 1st sabbath, Love F changes, z stardust, Nirvana, sgt peppers, London calling, Live at leeds, LZ 4, No sleep til h/smith and SF sorrow. <yawn>.

I think Milesago summed it up neatly in his post.

Comment

Karen Dalton on the Cover.Gad zooks
                    sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

There may well be more - but I can see two 'various artists' compilations on there.
                      One is Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea featuring The Who, The Pretenders and Paul McCartney.
                      The other is Warfaring Strangers: The Darkscorch Canticles on Numero which features some very obscure Sabbath clones from the 70s.
                      Strange choices
                      galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Ah, it's not simply a 250 greatest LPs list. It's broken down into sections like the best samplers, best bootlegs, singles/EPs, gimmick sleeves, etc. So that explains the odd choices. There's more info here:

https://classicrock.teamrock.com/fea...09-on-sale-now

I reckon I've owned (and in some cases still own) about 80 of the records in that picture.

Comment

We picked it up on the way to Manchester last weekend. Sat with my nose in it round at the outlaws. Kept me out of trouble, no great revelations, an "easy" read. Didn't like the look of the free cd, haven't played it, think its still in the car. Lots of tattoos and hair seem to be the order of the day. I have neither, so feeling a bit left out, I probably won't return for more.
                          Everyone tear down your own little wall
                          That keeps you from being a part of it all
                          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Out of boredom, I decided to finally look at this thread - it only confirmed my worst fears....isn't this 'imperative' style of rock journalism a bit old now?.. '250 Records You MUST Own'....oh yeah, why?...says who?...by what authority?...and what you gonna do if I don't, eh?
                            you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

I would've said it was List Journalism. They've all been at it for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X