'Has The 45 Game Played Itself?'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Has The 45 Game Played Itself?'

This blog post has been doing the rounds... The argument is old (a dressed up variant of the mouldy old 'does it matter what medium a DJ plays off?' chestnut). But the question is are 45s, specifically, being fetishised again, any more than previously? If so, I wasn't aware. What's driving it this time? It's far too early to start the viral marketing push for the deluxe anniversary boxset of Brainfreeze...
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Like the say Rich the whole 45 game has 'Played itself', I think it's time you got 'with it' and moved yours on, I'm unhip enough take them off your hands if you like?!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

not really aware of this to be honest.
      and certainly not in a "i press my own cool bootleg 45s" kind of way.
      however, there are some new "dj's" or "promoters" in zurich that heavily got into records and it looks like they excessively started buying cheap yeye 45s and stuff like that.
      i guess its especially cool to them because playing 45s ads even more to "that" retro feel than just playing records.
      we're used to see djs playing 12". but see a dj playing 45s is new for many.
      it's also connected to all those vintage «girl in panties sitting on a green carpet listening to 45s on a philips portable» photos.
      the purest realest form of playing records...?!

*shiver* i'll get rid of them...quickly!
      Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

From the blog:
        "There are no rules in the DJ game these days. Back in the day, you had people covering labels, putting records in the wrong sleeve, and whatever tactic they had to do to keep their records secret. The first to dig it up, play it out, reaped the benefits of getting tied to discovering that record or break. Today, things are different"

I've heard variations of this argument (mainly about boots/carvers) ever since I started getting Blues & Soul and Street Scene back in the mid 80's. I also read similar articles and letters in B&S back issues from the early to mid 70's.

Isn't this just an age thing? A younger generation has a different attitude to music/formats which prompts the older crowd to wail how much better it was in their day.

it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
        take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
          Isn't this just an age thing? A younger generation has a different attitude to music/formats which prompts the older crowd to wail how much better it was in their day.
          Yes, but I'm (mildly) curious as to what's rattled their cages to prompt this post? What's happening to seed the 'shit storm' (and am I that out of touch)? As I said, where are these upstart 45 zealots, specifically? And, if it's an age thing surely the blog writers have been buying records long enough to realise that any fad is just that, and that the trend will fade eventually?
          Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
          I'm unhip enough take them off your hands if you like?!
          Nice try, but you already have enough records, Craig.
          Originally posted by effi_deep View Post
          not really aware of this to be honest.
          and certainly not in a "i press my own cool bootleg 45s" kind of way.
          however, there are some new "dj's" or "promoters" in zurich that heavily got into records and it looks like they excessively started buying cheap yeye 45s and stuff like that.
          If that's happening in London I'm unaware. Certainly not in the way that Brainfreeze and Product Placement ushered in for a period. There's more nights with vinyl DJs (I guess) but more in keeping with the general vinyl revival than 45s in particular (I guess, again) and I still think (yes, guess) the prevailing trend is that it's more difficult to play records out now than it was fifteen years ago.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep View Post

*shiver* i'll get rid of them...quickly!
            I'll trade you for that skronky MPS jazz LP you want.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I found it a bit of a confusing read really. Obviously they are very passionate about 45s, and go to great lengths to tell us they have "put in the time" to find those illusive breaks. "Your records define you" is a bit like fingernails down the blackboard to me...eek! If it is a fad, then when it has all blown over (again), surely they will still be there, doing what they do best, so why the problem?
              As you say Rich, it does smack of having their cage rattled.
              I am guilty myself of fetishizing the 45 format, and I think it goes back to the days of hearing things on compilations (which were generally 45 cuts) and playing the "track them down" game. Which is odd in itself as I already had the track on the comp, and I still can't reason with myself why that isn't sufficient. Probably some deep seated personality disorder no doubt. Maybe its just that very often, they sound better.
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

The post is arguing against wealthy whippersnappers getting 45s of rare or even not so rare records carved for cash and then playing them out.

The argument should go like this: an element of DJing is record collecting, and DJing 45 only sets is definitely about record collecting. Because an element of record collecting is about collecting the original issue, then whippersnappers should not carve up new 45s of old songs because they haven't got the original issue.

If you accept that it's important to collect and DJ the original issue, then the argument is valid. If you don't accept that, the argument is not valid.
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

The 45 vinyl thing has got massive again, today I saw a dj post up loads of new 45's that he had obviously pressed up onto white labels for a 45 set. There are lot of boogie and funk bits coming out in that format for the first time as well as limited edition issue/reissues of things like The Wildstyle soundtrack 45's boxset, Kenny Dope (Cutting records) breakbeats, the Ultimate Breaks and Beats 45 set.

on Monday I saw that Jay Z and Third Man Records have done a collaborative release of the Magna Carter album as a limited edition (1000 copies) 45 box set and whilst I am not a fan it did look like a nice product. I do wonder how many of them will end up being played.

[IMG]www.discogs.com/JAY-Z-Magna-Carta-Holy-Grail/release/6825766[/IMG]

The bit I will add though is that most of the above can be found on the Flea Market Funk website so I dont know why now which was the original post.

Comment

tried to post a picture of the Magna Carter album but alas it was either beyond my skills or the locked down computers at work wont allow it.

Just read the blog completely and they use Seratto so, I am now more confused by the blog. I though it was a case for "real DJ's play OG's"

Comment

#preservetheculture my arse
                      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Yes, Y1000. Glad it wasn't just me. Thanks for the succinct version Eine.
                        Everyone tear down your own little wall
                        That keeps you from being a part of it all
                        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                          The post is arguing against wealthy whippersnappers getting 45s of rare or even not so rare records carved for cash and then playing them out.
                          The blogger doesn't half have his knickers in a twist.

So what if someone goes to all that length and cost to produce 45's... those that give a damn about original issues will sneer away anyway. I reckon some of these guys could be losing their gigs (and therefore their kudos / prestige / income / mojo) to a younger crowd and can't handle it.
                          Last edited by someblokecalledfuz; 02-04-2015, 10:59 PM.
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post

So what if someone goes to all that length and cost to produce 45's... those that give a damn about original issues will sneer away anyway. I reckon some of these guys could be losing their gigs (and therefore their kudos / prestige / income / mojo) to a younger crowd and can't handle it.
                            You're bang on there, I think. I've been DJing sporadically since the late 80s and only DJ with 7"s* (I blame deep grooming on the mod/northern soul scenes) but do I care about this bone of contention? Not one ounce. I will often have a carve or two in my box containing LP-only tracks too. But do I do this for a living or semi-regular coin? No I do not but the blubs I see coming from social media come from 'pro' DJs who must be feeling the pressure and are not willing to adapt to this fad (and it is a fad).

* 7"s, not 45s. 12"s are generally 45s too.
                            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

After reading the article, I'm not quite sure what their point is. Either play all original 45s and get a gold star, play a mix of originals and re-issues and get a silver - or play a mix of originals, re-issues and carvers and get a bronze.

At least on the northern soul scene they've got an original vinyl only policy - but I can't quite see why Fleamarket Funk draw such a distinction between re-issues and carvers. Carvers cost about three times the price of a re-issue anyway...
                              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Working...
                              X