MPS label of love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPS label of love

well, mps probably got me into jazz in the late 90s.
    the «between or beyond the black forest» comp was on heavy rotation for at least two years and made me discover many new musical directions i didn’t really knew i would like.

so i quickly became obsessed with the mps stuff, loved all the artwork, the gatefold sleeves… i thought they would only have high quality outputs and every record would be a winner. thats why i pretty much bought every mps record i came across. well, there i was wrong… i kept the ones i liked and kind of forgot about them.

so recently the mps obsession strucked me again, being on heavy rotation over here.
    this made me wonder what the really good or fun or weirdest titles are on this label.

what records do i need?
    which ones do you rate? and why?

heres roughly whats left in my collection:

art van damme - invitation
    charly antolini - in the groove
    clarke /boland - faces
    dave pike set - noisy silence
    dave pike set - four reasons
    dave pike set - infra red
    dave pike set - album
    erwin lehn orchester - color in jazz
    et cetera - knirsch
    george duke - feel
    george duke - the inner source
    ira kris group - jazzanova
    knut kiesewetter - stop! watch! and listen!
    peter herbolzheimer - wide open
    peter herbolzheimer - my kind of sunshine
    peter herbolzheimer - waitaminute
    peter herbolzheimer - live im onkel po
    piano conclave palais anthology
    rolf kuehn - connection 74
    slide hampton/joe haider - give me a double
    the band - alpine power plant
    the third wave - here and now
    volker kriegel - spectrum
    voler kriegel - inside: missing link
    wolfgang dauner - the oimels
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Originally posted by effi_deep View Post
    heres roughly whats left in my collection:
    How many have you let go? You have kept far more than I've ever bought, although many of those titles are familiar. Of them, 'Noisy Silence, Gentle Noise' is canonical, something I always return to. the sleeve notes on both 'Noisy...' and 'Infra-Red' are entertaining. I have both those Kriegel LPs, and prefer 'Inside: Missing Link' although I'm not sure either is essential, ('Zoom' would be much improved if it was half the length in my philistine opinion). I also have 'Lift!', which isn't bad, but certainly isn't better than either of those. Does the 'Free Orbit' LP live to up it's the sleeve?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
      How many have you let go? You have kept far more than I've ever bought, although many of those titles are familiar. Of them, 'Noisy Silence, Gentle Noise' is canonical, something I always return to. the sleeve notes on both 'Noisy...' and 'Infra-Red' are entertaining. I have both those Kriegel LPs, and prefer 'Inside: Missing Link' although I'm not sure either is essential, ('Zoom' would be much improved if it was half the length in my philistine opinion). I also have 'Lift!', which isn't bad, but certainly isn't better than either of those. Does the 'Free Orbit' LP live to up it's the sleeve?
      Oh i don't know, i left go many around 2006 or so. the kriegel - lift for example.
      And true, none of the kriegel lps are essential imo.
      I forgot about the free orbit lp, thought it was on BASF but it's not. i have and keep this.
      it's good fun, really weird mixture between uptempo easy jazz, pop bit psychy and crooner singing. it's not strong the whole way through but has a couple of great tracks!

Comment

woah, just checked, this thing got expensive!!

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep View Post
          woah, just checked, this thing got expensive!!
          There's a cheaper reissue that was released a few years later but it has different artwork. ...That's nice, sort of loungey jazzrock.

I think I may have more 45s on MPS than I have LPs...
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
            I think I may have more 45s on MPS than I have LPs...
            haha, i don't own a single one.
            thats mathar, soul eggs and a day in the life i guess?

Comment

i still need the smoke - everything lp which vincent grabed out of an almost dollar bin right in front of me!!

Comment

this one gets my vote for the best cover

and if you like those george duke's you need faces in reflections as well

Comment

These are the ones I've got
                  I'm sure I should know but how/why did SABA become MPS- apart from the label design everything else about the label seems to be same??? For instance my copy of Jazz Meets India is on SABA and not MPS?

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Saba was a small electrical company that was bought out but the new owners had no interest in any of its recordings , so when Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer left the company and started MPS he was allowed to take all his original recordings with him

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                      Saba was a small electrical company that was bought out but the new owners had no interest in any of its recordings , so when Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer left the company and started MPS he was allowed to take all his original recordings with him
                      Ah ha - so LPs on SABA can be on MPS but not the other way round!
                      Makes perfect sense
                      Thanks for that
                      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

I share the love for Saba/MPS too, MPS was one of the first labels I started looking for when I got into European jazz and fusion. Some of my favorite titles:

Nathan Davis - The Hip Walk
                        Nathan Davis - Happy Girl
                        Fats Sadi - Ensadinado
                        Barney Wilen etc - Jazz Meets India
                        Hideo Shiraki + 3 Koto Girls - Jazz Meets Japan (so beautiful!)
                        Tony Scott - Djanger Bali
                        George Duke - The Inner Source
                        V/A - Piano x4 (with Wolfgang Dauner, Modern Jazz Group Freiburg)
                        Mark Murphy - Midnight Mood
                        Mary Lou Williams - Black Christ Of The Andes
                        The Third Wave - Here And Now

I'm still looking for a handful of titles unfortunately.
                        http://thejazzkid.tumblr.com

Comment

Here are mine (according to Discogs) - but need to loose a few I think.....

In terms of what's worth getting (in addition to the one's you listed) - definitely the Faces In Reflection by George Duke, and I rather like the Nelson Riddle and Frederic Rabold Crew....the 'Open Space' has a great version of 'Maiden Voyage'.
                          Last edited by pitch; 04-04-2015, 11:36 AM.
                          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm a fan of Saba/MPS too, and would love to have more of them.. I have probably a dozen or so titles by Clarke/Boland alone, still missing a few I think. Among my faves, of the mentioned, are Jazz Focus '65, Fats Sadi's Ensadinado, F. Boland's Out of the Background, Jazz Meets India, Oimels, and Djanger Bali, obviously..these are great as well:

The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

lovely version of "so what" on this one:

Comment

Working...
                              X