Rare & Racy in Sheffield closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare & Racy in Sheffield closing

I'm told Rare & Racy may be going to make way for flats. That'll be a bummer.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Ouch, that hurts...Devonshire Street was like a magnet for me late 70's/early 80s, not only Rare & Racy with it's myriad sights, sounds (and smells) but also Mr Kites (later Sgt Peppers) Bistro (has that survived?), the first few pubs of the West Street Shuffle and all within staggering distance of the University, the Limit club or CJ's blues and the many other various attractions that Broomhall had to offer back then....it was like the spiritual centre of the 'other' Sheffield and it was magical to witness a scene arise there by happy accident of time, people and location...bliss was it in that dawn to be alive....I shall be sure to treasure any of those hand stamped inner sleeves I possess...
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

From The Sheffield Star, Thursday 26 March 2015:

The co-owner of a Sheffield shop hailed by singer Jarvis Cocker as a ‘global treasure’ has urged people to continue shopping there.

Alan Capes spoke out after controversial plans to demolish much-loved second hand bookshop Rare and Racy were approved by Sheffield Council - despite 20,000 objections.

Outraged protestors have pledged to challenge the ‘disgraceful decision’ which will see Devonshire Street lose a row of independent shops to be replaced by apartments, a restaurant and a store.

Mr Capes said: “It’s great people have been so supportive.”

He told The Star developer Primesite will not start work on the scheme until the shop’s lease runs out in two years and possible options were still being weighed up.

Mr Capes said: “Of course if the shop was doing well I could probably carry on elsewhere.”

But he said the shop had a lower rent because the owners had to rebuild the frontage and finding another site could be expensive.

Meanwhile Coda Planning, agent for the developer, came under fire after posting a picture online of its team raising glasses in a pub and speaking of ‘succeeding’ to deliver the scheme despite 20,000 objections.

Coda director Adam Murray said staff were out at a birthday event, no offence was meant and there had been an ‘inappropriate oversight.’

Comment

Sounds like some fat brown envelopes might have been involved
        galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

I think it's shit, but 20,000 objections amount to only 3% of the population of Sheffield. You don't need corruption when you have apathy.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
            I think it's shit, but 20,000 objections amount to only 3% of the population of Sheffield. You don't need corruption when you have apathy.
            Can't argue with your maths, GK, but from what I've learned trawling the web this afters, the campaign against the development has been about as lively as you could reasonably expect a campaign to save a row of old shops (including the aforementioned bistro, now apparently called 'Green' and owned by an Arctic Monkey) to be, with a fairly vocal protest in and outside the Town Hall when the planning meeting was held. To be fair, the buildings, despite sporting as smart a facade as I can ever remember, were always in a bit of a state internally and it seems this remains the case, although the owners failure to address these issues over the years does seem a bit suspect.

It's just a little hard to swallow, that's all - it seems very ironic that the very epicentre of cool and slightly dangerous Sheffield, the motivating factor for all the development that has grown around it is now threatened by that very same development (some 'studio apartments' with 'retail space' - how thrilling and unique...) Of course, having lived in Manchester for the last 30 years, I've seen it all happen here too, and I guess it's the same in every major British city.

But it isn't just about what Devonshire Street is, it's about all that it represents. We now have 'The Hacienda Apartments', Brick Lane is being bullied into extinction, I just wonder when the powers that be will be satisfied that they have eradicated all historical traces of countercultural activity in our nation and established an acceptable level of bland urban(e) conformism.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
              Perfuckingplease. It's the same all over. Dodgy councillors letting developers in quite freely. Check some of the shit that's happening in my part of town if you are bothered.
              some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                  Perfuckingplease. It's the same all over. Dodgy councillors letting developers in quite freely. Check some of the shit that's happening in my part of town if you are bothered.
                  In Newtown (Sydney) it has always been very bohemian/alternative and the council there is accutely aware of this fact and that being the reason why so many people flock there on weekends for the sights and sounds and alt shopping etc.. which is why there is very little new development. Sure, the new units that are built, go for min AU$600,000 but such blocks are very discreet and not in your face.
                  Anyway, on this subject, you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Comment

Working...
                  X