Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Young

Hi

I picked up a bunch of records from my dad a while ago and played after the goldrush by neil young. Always knew my dad liked him but i Couldn't have named one song by him previous to this. So yeah it's fair to say the LP blew me away, So much so I've picked up just about all his early stuff and been hammering it all for a few months now.

Anyway, just wondering if he gets much love around here and if so what's your favourite release. Given the volume of material I'm particularly interested in anything off the radar so to speak, like unofficial things bootlegs etc.

Thanks in advance for any responses
    Jay

absolute favorite here. i prefer his solo stuff a bit over the crazy horse records. but yes, they're all good.
    i think "hawks and doves" doesn't get mentioned enough. it's a wonderful lp.
    don't know much about bootlegs, i do like his weird santa cruz kind of "pub" live recordings with the ducks.
    they're electric "little wing" version hit me hard :-)

i can see people coming and talking about "on the beach" again, which is great, but there is so much more really!
    i don't know any other artist with such a high quality output throughout his whole career.
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

What's your favourite then effi_deep ?

The youtube link is great. Thanks

Comment

Every record he made in the 70's has moments of brilliance. I can't think of a more consistently great songwriter with such a prolific output in rock. May not be the most original of choices but I'd have to say my top 3 -

Rust Never Sleeps
        Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
        Tonight's The Night
        https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

Comment

On the Beach is also up there.

Comment

I'm actually really happy for you Jay. No end of NY stuff to explore. Don't forget the pre solo career bands, although I'm sure you'll get back there too. He's one of those artists who, if you connect with his music, can become a bit of an obsession. I know a couple of people like that. I like the raggedy edges to his guitar playing, the occasional bum notes, the overdriven fuzziness. I know he bores some people shitless, but this thread isn't for them I suppose.
            Zuma was an lp which crept up on me in a big way. Sounds like you know how it is anyway.
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
              I'm actually really happy for you Jay. No end of NY stuff to explore. Don't forget the pre solo career bands, although I'm sure you'll get back there too. He's one of those artists who, if you connect with his music, can become a bit of an obsession. I know a couple of people like that. I like the raggedy edges to his guitar playing, the occasional bum notes, the overdriven fuzziness. I know he bores some people shitless, but this thread isn't for them I suppose.
              Zuma was an lp which crept up on me in a big way. Sounds like you know how it is anyway.
              Yeah. Feeling Zuma here too...

Love the unplugged record. That organ version of like a hurricane sends shivers down me...

Comment

I know the early stuff, but I kind of gave up around about Transformer. I'd also be interested in hearing recommendations from then on.
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                X