New tame impala track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tame impala track

Tame impala get a lot of love and I suspect around here too...
    I'm a big fan of theirs and been all over to see them play, dont want to hate on them but i was kinda disappointed when I heard their new single earlier...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEB2AEqHxc

Hope their new album don't all sound like this

Originally posted by jay View Post
    Tame impala get a lot of love and I suspect around here too...
    I'm a big fan of theirs and been all over to see them play, dont want to hate on them but i was kinda disappointed when I heard their new single earlier...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEB2AEqHxc

Hope their new album don't all sound like this
    Hi Jay, welcome to VG+, hope we can keep you entertained. We did kinda briefly touch on this issue in the March New Releases thread where Monday's Child posted this...

...but I was too wrapped up in stressing about the non-appearance of the second Melody's Echo Chamber album to really give it my full attention (sorry MC...)...

As I said there, I've struggled a bit with Tame Impala since buying 'Lonerism' - like many I suppose, I was dragged in by 'Elephant' which was a great single, but although I couldn't really say there was anything terribly wrong with the album, it's so far failed to really connect with me. I should add that I'm not really au fait with the first TI album which some say is better.

Still, I can understand why you might be a little taken aback by the new tracks - 'Let It Happen' seems to just about do enough to keep your interest but doesn't really have any identifiable TI touches until about three minutes from the end. 'Cause I'm A Man' is a different kettle of fish altogether though, a total bid for straight down the line pop balladeering - safe, synthetic, fairly polished....although I've got to admit, it's a great vocal. Both are marked by a relative absence of guitars.

I'd reserve judgement until you've heard the album though - this kind of seismic shift isn't unprecedented in pop history and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Kevin Parker strikes me as a prodigiously talented musician, the type who could turn his hand to anything and make a good job of it, and often it's those who have the most music in them who have the biggest need to let it all out. I suppose KP has already telegraphed this change in approach via his contributions to the last Mark Ronson album (which I rather enjoyed, particularly 'Daffodils') - perhaps his involvement with premier league pop has turned his head a bit and he fancies a slice of the action?...or perhaps his rumoured split with Melody Prochet (she still hasn't phoned me...) has had a morose influence and the next TI album will prove to be a great 'break-up' album? - it's very easy to get the wrong end of a song like 'Cause I'm A Man' when taken out of context....

As I said, It wouldn't be the first time this kind of sudden gear change has occurred, Scritti Politti, Bowie, Prince, Beck, even Billy Joel....sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't, but I tend to have more respect for artists who get it out of their system rather than playing it safe - if they're prepared to gamble their fan base, that just tells me that they're committed to their music....sometimes true talent needs to get out of it's comfort zone a bit...

Beck 1994:

Beck 1999:

Last edited by giantchicken; 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM.
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Working...
    X