Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shindig? Kaleidoscope?

What's all this about then?

Sounds very shady from the bits I've seen on Facebook....
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

I saw this on Facebook from Andy Morten:

A note from our co-editor, re-directed from his personal page:

Warning: I am angry and trying to remain level-headed.
    It's been almost a week since Jon Mills and I discovered that Shindig! Magazine... the latest!, the printed publication that we've built up from nothing over the past 16 years, had been virtually stolen from under us by our former publisher, Slim Smith of Volcano Publishing. It's taken this long for me to begin dealing with the fallout, contact our friends and allies, alert and inform our faithful readership and – most painfully for me – try and absorb the insanity and inhumanity of what's happened (this was while both Jon and I were on holiday with our families. Nice timing, eh?).
    That a simple, honest little mag created by one ultra-driven music fan (Mills), embellished and embroidered by another (me) and enabled by dozens of fans, readers, writers and advertisers, could become victim to the Machiavellian moves and megalomaniacal hunger of an unscrupulous publisher (and I use the word publisher cautiously. While it's true that Volcano got us into the High Street and beyond, many of his decisions have been morally dubious and financially disastrous. It's a miracle we're still here, considering) is still hard to swallow.
    To then publish *our* work with a new name (Kaleidoscope – just so you know in order to boycott and/or vandalise it), a new cover and God knows what kind of content changes – without our knowledge or consent – is not only unacceptable but probably illegal. To then approach *our* database of writers, advertisers and subscribers and ask them if they'd like to contribute to this new venture is rubbing salt into the wound. Of course, none of them have agreed to do so that I'm aware of – why would they?
    The enormous outpouring of support we've received across the board and the kind offers of help and advice from our readers and a whole bunch of lawyers, designers, publishers, backers, writers, artists, sponsors and angry men with claw hammers (a nice thought but possibly a little too radical to pursue) has been astonishing and has proved to us a thousand times over that Shindig! will return bigger and better than ever. I'd like to thank everyone who's offered their support in any way and to assure them that we couldn't do it without them.
    Sorry if this all sounds like a raging witch-hunt/smear campaign but that's pretty much how it is for Jon and I at the moment. Emotional isn't the word. Images of babies being kidnapped from prams spring to mind.
    This is the beginning of a new dawn, not the end of an era.
    Love,
    Andy
    x
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

That's what I saw too - can people steal magazines? Sounds mad - do any of it's contributors on this board have any juicy gossip?

Sie/Hugh/etc....
      Hit us with some Juice-Goose!
      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

I got the impression that the key thing was the contacts list including the subscribers (which makes me think about how whenever you access an app, it asks for access to your contacts - important information, these days, which we all give away too lightly). I think the publisher has underestimaed how much the Shindig "brand" is built on the back of shared, personal connections and has been built over time through friendships, peer groups etc. I bet 50% of the readership have some kind of connection with a band/writer/musician involved somewhere along the line. It's not something one can just steal and replicate. I hope it blows up in their face, and that they lose a lot of money. Greedy shits. I feel bad for Andy and co. - it must be horrible to have a significant part of your work and livelehood just ripped off like this.
        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
          can people steal magazines? Sounds mad
          Well remember we've only heard one side of the story - the relationship between publishers and editorial staff is usually a bit of a fraught one, not unlike that between football club chairmen and football managers. What you may see as your everyday labour of love, your personal passion etc , is just figures on a balance sheet to someone else. I haven't written for music magazines since the early 90s but the sort of machinations described above were fairly commonplace back then, particularly when things started moving online - it's perhaps only because there are so few music magazines left that this seems notable.

When a publisher pulls the rug from underneath you it's only human to react with accusations of thievery and mismanagement, but the sad truth is that it's not a level playing field - the power to make decisions ultimately lies with those who own the rights and put in the money - I'm sure in this case that they will defend their move by saying that the change was necessary to avoid financial ruination and that they were within their legal right to make it. It's understandable that contributors might initially react with distaste, but if they rely on the work for their livelihood then they may ultimately have little choice but to accept it - back in my era there was at least a rump of resistance in the form of the NUJ, but I would imagine that counts for little these days....thems the breaks I'm afraid...

#EDIT# - This from the Kaleidoscope website:

"A STATEMENT FROM VOLCANO PUBLISHING

SHINDIG! MAGAZINE AND KALEIDOSCOPE MAGAZINE

Volcano began to publish Shindig! in 2007, taking a fanzine that was started by its editors and turning it into a consumer magazine, distributed around the world.

Recently the working relationship between these editors, who own the Shindig! name, and Volcano reached a point where it’s was no longer feasible to carry on in the same manner.
          A structural change proposal was made by Volcano, but this was rejected by the editors.
          An offer of third-party moderation has also been rejected by the editors.

Volcano and the editors have gone their separate ways.
          We wish the editors the best in their future endeavours.

Moving forward, we will continue to publish a music magazine with the same focus, but carrying a new name - Kaleidoscope.

We love the music and the culture we write about, so we ask you to continue to support it. We hope you’ll choose to be a part of the exciting new Kaleidoscope world."

The admission that the editors own the 'Shindig' name would appear to me to put the publishers on dodgy ground, but then I'm not a lawyer.....
          Last edited by giantchicken; 11-04-2015, 06:09 PM.
          you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

My copy of Kaleidoscope plopped through the letterbox today. I scoured the pages for some sort of explanation, but found nothing. Would have thought this would be the perfect platform for an explanation, the 1st edition of a "new" publication.
            Fight back with music
            https://www.mixcloud.com/JonMojoMill...-broadcast-15/

Looking forward to the next chapter.
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
              My copy of Kaleidoscope plopped through the letterbox today. I scoured the pages for some sort of explanation, but found nothing. Would have thought this would be the perfect platform for an explanation, the 1st edition of a "new" publication.
              Fight back with music
              https://www.mixcloud.com/JonMojoMill...-broadcast-15/

Looking forward to the next chapter.
              SCAB!
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Giantchicken makes some good points re one side of the story, passion v balance sheets etc. Publishers generally have a crook rep but plenty of people jump in bed with them when it suits and deals turn sour when dues get recalled.

Hasn't SmartPhil of this here parish jumped ship to the Darkside?

I don't know what to order but I think I'll need to order loads

PS- I had a flick through K*leid*sc*pe in WHS today. It looks shit.
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
                  Giantchicken makes some good points re one side of the story, passion v balance sheets etc. Publishers generally have a crook rep but plenty of people jump in bed with them when it suits and deals turn sour when dues get recalled.

Hasn't SmartPhil of this here parish jumped ship to the Darkside?

I don't know what to order but I think I'll need to order loads

Website is user unfriendly to say the least... glad to see that Mojo mills and Co's Hex is working
                  sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

This all sounds complex... as a subscriber... I want the Jon Mills and Andy Morten action... what do I subscribe too..?

Do I cancel my subscription now with Volcano now..?
                    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

I share your dilemma
                      Everyone tear down your own little wall
                      That keeps you from being a part of it all
                      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

this is the new point of contact for Andy/Jon/Shindig! http://www.shindig-mag.com/
                        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

this is the new point of contact for Andy/Jon/Shindig! http://www.shindig-mag.com/
                          Cheers fella... no need for a subscription... termination at the end of this run... http://www.shindig-mag.com seems the way forward...

Comment

Update - came through on the email this morning...

"Volcano Publishing Ltd canceled your automatic payments. This means we'll no longer automatically draw money from your account to pay the merchant. If you have any questions, you may ask Volcano Publishing Ltd about this cancellation."...

Comment

The May cover looks lame, poorly designed.

They're promoting it solely as a psych mag ("a World of psychedelic music") but they've got Suicide on the cover? That would've worked as Shindig, as they were more wide ranging than just psych. I think it's ill thought out and doomed to failure personally...

Comment

Working...
                              X