Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've noticed over the years that there are 45 cuts and Lp cuts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've noticed over the years that there are 45 cuts and Lp cuts....

Sometimes you get a handy edit that improves the danceability of a record...for example;
    RARE EARTH - I know i'm losing you The Lp version was the first one i heard...terrific drumbreak that goes on forever...but hard to captivate the audience for the almost ten minutes of the tune (give or take a fade out or dramatic cut)...then i got the 45 mainly so i could take another Lp out with me in the old overstocked record bag...and low and behold the record fairy grants me a wish and gives me a killer edit...

I've noticed alot of funk and soul lp's on independent labels like Mirwood or Brunswick that have completely different cuts of the 45 versions...different takes...extended breaks or solo's...sometimes completely different bands or tempo's are used....obviously the 45 and Lp versions have to be within perhaps a year of each other (i'm not talking about the difference between a 45 recorded in 67 and an Lp version recorded 4 or 5 years later)

It makes me wonder how many other cuts i'm sleeping on....

Sometimes too i've noticed the production may be tampered with...for example some Elvis cuts on budget Lp's have a much different sound than 45's, and it can't be explained by the pressing...drums are up on the mix or handclaps added....

This seems to happen with alot of funkyrock stuff that i'm finding at the moment...sometimes with added guitars or drumbreaks which when it works...it REALLY works...

I'm sure alot of you have noticed this already but i was wondering on what scale this went on....am i missing lots of versions? Should i be seriously thinking about checking out alot of the 45 or Lp versions for records i already own? I've noticed out of the FunkyRock stuff that the Rare Earth label and CBS seem to have a few edits/versions but are there any other labels well known for it...it's just occured to me that alot of easy records have quite a few differences between Lp's even...not just 45's....Hmmm this is going to require some thought...any tips,comments or suggestions?
    Country be dyin like poor people do
    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

one of the most obvious is Rusty Bryant's 'Fire Eater', a good but long winded 'acid jazz' style jam on LP but a heavy 3 minute funk monster on 45.
    It loses the Hammond solo but thank god retains the ridiculous drum solo making it a killer that gets plays years after that whole Prestige/blue note sound had got a bit tired. It was finding this 45 for £2 mid 90s that helped turn me from a LP collector (as I think most people were back then) to the beauty of 45s.
    Others off the top of me head that are different to their LP version, i'm sure everyone knows most of them anyway, but i'll list some cos I'm boring:

Johnny Almond - Solar Level
    Dave Pike - Mathar (just loses the sitar noodling intro - better for DJing)
    Buddy Rich - Beat Goes on - one of the best 45 edits ever. Takes the heaviest bit of the track and dubs the vocals over it. Has all the verses, a quick drum solo and ends big. Comes loads more powerful and loud. The first remix?
    Keith Mansfield - Soul Thing - my 45 is a different piano part to my LP version, probably not as tight IMO though.
    Grant Green - sookie sookie - this and other Blue Note dancers got 45 issues with shortened edits, some better for it, others not. This gets away with it.
    Ray Barretto - Passtime Paradise - avoid, cuts out the best bits.
    S.O.U.L. - Burning Spear - worst 45 edit ever, cuts out the bass & drum break part of the intro which is the best bit. and still is expensive. weird
    Mike Bloomfield / Al Kooper - Season Of THe witch - shorter
    Mike Westbrook - original peter - not got it but have heard it's different.
    Terry Callier - Gonna miss your candyman - the 45 is obviously well worth getting for the lovely 'look at me now' but the 'candyman' is a totally different version. and relatively crap.
    Cold Blood - i'm a good woman - fades out before the end
    Sound of genesis - jouney to the moon - obscure one but the 45 has the instrumental
    Penny Goodwin - too soon you're old - avoid avoid avoid - only half the track that really is a track of two halves.
    James Knight - Save Me - shorter, less orchestrated and better on 45.
    Herbie Mann - mem,phis two step - under-rated. too long on Lp with too many dodgy solos, shorter on 45 and with the nice break, makes for a great funk 45.
    Mohawks - baby hold on has the part2 which is heavier
    Odetta - hit or miss - sparcer version, not as good imo.
    Pete Terrace - I'm gonna make it - nice as is it, it fades out half way through the hammond solo - booo

that's all i can think of, must be more obvious ones too

Comment

Yeah i noticed alot of the Blue Note edits come to think about it...one thing when you mention the Buddy Rich version of Beat goes On that i'd never fathomed is why did the Blue Note Lp that comped it miss out the spoken word intro from the original Lp That was my favourite bit

"And I'd like to introduce you to my daughter Cathy...she's only 13 and a half years old and she's drunk!" Always makes me chuckle that one

Comment

Originally posted by mik
        that's all i can think of, must be more obvious ones too
        Ray Bryant 'Up Above The Rock' - drums are heavier in the mix (probably goes for 'Quizas, Quizas, Quizas' off the same LP
        Seatrain 'Flute Thing' - well, you couldn't fit the album cut on a 45, could you?

That 'Season Of The Witch sounds useful, Mik. And it's funny how 'Solar Level' splits the judges - personally, I prefer the extra DJ Mugg's sax but I know people who don't...
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I prefer the extra DJ Mugg's sax but I know people who don't...
          .. that'll be me then...!

There's a Funk Inc 45 that I'd like to add to the list, but I've forgot the title - plus I'm at work, existing on 4 hours sleep plus no breakfast (continues to winge for an additional 5 minutes...) ...
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
            "And I'd like to introduce you to my daughter Cathy...she's only 13 and a half years old and she's drunk!" Always makes me chuckle that one
            Cathy herself recorded a nice version of Wild Thing with the help of the legendary Kim Fowley. It features the lyric, "my name's Cathy...and I'm wiiiiiilllld".

Which is nice.
            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
              Sometimes too i've noticed the production may be tampered with...for example some Elvis cuts on budget Lp's have a much different sound than 45's, and it can't be explained by the pressing...drums are up on the mix or handclaps added....
              I don't know if it is what you mean but have you heard the 80s/90s CD reissues of the ZZ Top albums?

it is shocking what they have done to them.
              Tejas, Fandango etc. were great, mostly due to the drum sound and the whole recording process. then when rereleasing them someone though that replacing the drums with some horrid 80s cocaine OD 'sheen' samples and re mixing the rest.
              it defies belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico Gomez
                I don't know if it is what you mean but have you heard the 80s/90s CD reissues of the ZZ Top albums?

it is shocking what they have done to them.
                Tejas, Fandango etc. were great, mostly due to the drum sound and the whole recording process. then when rereleasing them someone though that replacing the drums with some horrid 80s cocaine OD 'sheen' samples and re mixing the rest.
                it defies belief.
                Yep i agree totally with you...i do know what you mean as i checked out the re ish of Tres Hombre but i wasnt sure at first as i know there's always a difference between hearing it on vinyl on my system at home and cd on the system in the shop but yes you're right

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                  Ray Bryant 'Up Above The Rock' - drums are heavier in the mix
                  In which mix? The 45 or the LP?

If you think they're heavier on the 45, then I think you're wrong. Personally, I find the 45 to this tune too tinny, too much top. It annoyed me so much, I got rid of the 45 and kept the LP. In this instance, I preferred the polished LP treatment.

The irony is killing me...
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Dennis Coffey - Scorpio

After years of listening to the LP version, the 45 just sounds wierd to me.

Comment

Mohawks - baby hold on has the part2 which is heavier

Part 2 of Baby Hold On? Wow. Is this available on any lp's?

David S.
                      God bless Fatso.

Comment

Incidentally "SHIFTLESS WHEN IDLE", you coming up with some HELLA DOPE posts.

In terms of raising interesting and lesser explored aspects of this whole record geek thing. Often the same topics get mulled over again and again periodically.

I mean: really.

(Speaking of which: isn't it about time for another "what's up with charities that charge real prices?")

Comment

Thank you my friend right back at ya

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
                            In which mix? The 45 or the LP?

If you think they're heavier on the 45, then I think you're wrong. Personally, I find the 45 to this tune too tinny, too much top. It annoyed me so much, I got rid of the 45 and kept the LP. In this instance, I preferred the polished LP treatment.

The irony is killing me...

The 45 far outweighs the LP IMO. The LP is way too quiet - the 45 has plenty of bite to it.....nice and chunky.

Comment

Yeah, loads of people disagree with me on this, but I just find the 45 too raw for this track, which just makes it tinny and hard on my ears when playing through a PA. It's usually the other way around...
                              http://wakeupanddie.com
                              http://weirdgearnyc.com
                              http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Working...
                              X