80s/90s euro shoegaze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s/90s euro shoegaze?

Did this ever exist beyond ecstacy of st theresa's first stuff?
    Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

The Nightblooms from Holland were really good.

www.45cat.com
    http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Good call. Totally forgotten about them.

Is there even a book on Euro Indie music? All i can remember from that era is glitterhouse and industrial music from Europe. Surely it cant all have been two men with complicated haircuts from dresden bashing meat hooks into mic'ed up panda carcasses. What happened when Es hit european guitar bands?
      Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

I think most of my friends have played in estonian shoegaze group Though they started in late 90s, I'm talking about Pia Fraus.
        Check Bizarre, their second album from 1996 was released on LP recently https://seksound.bandcamp.com/album/cafe-de-flor

Comment

and Pia Fraus are a very fine group - love the stuff they did with that german dude whose name i've totally forgotten

what were bands doing in late 80s through 90s in estonia?

you'd think you'd have people copying dinosaur jr / sonic youth / mbv across the continent but then maybe scene in europe was wildly different then to UK. But then i can only think of 4 or 5 bands in USA who were blatantly influenced by MBV so maybe no-one cared or was it just a delayed reaction and by the time that whole thing was dead here it was just starting elsewhere.

if my balls are big enough and my mind garden wide enough i shall investiagate and report back

Comment

Bizarre was probably first shoegaze group here, their 1994 tape is on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIT-omWhX7Q
            Second tape "Cafe De Flor" was already with triphop/electronica elements.
            First Estonian indiegroup Röövel Ööbik had mbv in the mix too, but they borrowed from everywhere. I'm pretty happy this video from 1991 exists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ji8Tz7e-k

Comment

oh wow roovel oobik kick it - motorcylcists on fire and a group consisting of an amped up bez, a will reid haircut, the estonian bobby gillespie and a bit of loop thrown in too - in your face Britain - that's how you ramp things up properly

i'll check bizarre out tomorrow. I knew this stuff had to exist. thoroughly intrigued

Comment

I have this LP. Late eighties. Moby side-showing... http://www.discogs.com/Ultra-Vivid-S...release/860566
                DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Originally posted by Funky Charly View Post
                  I have this LP. Late eighties. Moby side-showing... http://www.discogs.com/Ultra-Vivid-S...release/860566
                  Good, but not euro - from NYC - UVS were the vehicle of former Crash guitarist Kurt Ralske - the follow up, 'Joy 1967 - 1990' is a better album, I reckon...
                  you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by chimptown View Post

you'd think you'd have people copying dinosaur jr / sonic youth / mbv across the continent but then maybe scene in europe was wildly different then to UK.

we had Tocotronic. Sometimes when I feel way too happy I wallow in self pity and put this on.
                    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

we had Tocotronic. Sometimes when I feel way too happy I wallow in self pity and put this on.
                      Haha exactly - I have a job at the minute where they may as well coat my soul in petrol and throw a match on it so I need a suitable soundtrack.

I like this - loving the bus seat they are sitting on in their living room - plus the matching bracelets - t-shirt trim.

I thought this was cool out of germany.

Comment

Ultra Vivid Scene certainly had that hazy sound though they were also channeling the NYC VU type spirit.

I'm trying to remember if Shoegaze in its prime had a short enough media profile that it came and went too fast to have a major and immediate impact the way soemthing like grunge did? By the time most of the shoegaze bands were on their second lp the indie scene had already moved on and they were either seen as yesterday's nobodies (Slowdive) or shamless bandwagon hoppers adding some beats to their effect pedals (Chapterhouse). Of the bigger bands MNV promptly disappeared and Ride changed tack for a less hazy/more aggresive proto Britpop freakbeat take on psych. That being so the influence was limited and slow but also potent. Like the old story that Nuggets only sold 20,000 copies but everyone who bought one formed a band.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

isnt anything was 88 and loveless 91 and then a year or so after that before the backlash so there was maybe 4-5 years before the whole thing seemed played out. From USA you had medicine, swirlies, ultra vivid, drop nineteens, belltower - so there was some influence outside UK - ecstacy from czechoslovakia, the bands Priima listed, nightblooms, bailter space so it did leak out and influence some people in other countries at the time but yeah like you say... most of the influence seemed to come much later in a slow burn.

Comment

I think the closest we came in Sweden were Easy. Apparently they returned from a 16-year hiatus in 2010 and are still active.
                            ------------------------------------------------------
                            "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

I bought my first flat off the couple from Slowdive.
                              To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Working...
                              X