Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vinyl is back!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vinyl is back!

    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/a...-2015041597356
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

  • #2
    Sums it up perfectly :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      I was thinking about this recently.
      All the "vinyl is back" stories in the press are generally industry-based - RSD, the new chart, etc, but is there any indication of the state of the used vinyl market?
      I´d have thought it´d be fairly easy to get figures for volumes sold on eBay, Discogs over the last few years. but I can´t find them after five minutes of googling.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by babycart View Post
        I was thinking about this recently.
        All the "vinyl is back" stories in the press are generally industry-based - RSD, the new chart, etc, but is there any indication of the state of the used vinyl market?
        I´d have thought it´d be fairly easy to get figures for volumes sold on eBay, Discogs over the last few years. but I can´t find them after five minutes of googling.
        you're using the wrong search terms BC - try "pre-loved" or "vintage" instead...

        Comment


        • #5
          It's impossible to know the the true scale of the vinyl market due to people selling at market stalls who don;t declare their sales to the tax dept, garage sales, private sales, hobbyists selling on their own websites or at record fairs etc... The tabulators can;t know the figures for those things. They probably don;t amount to big sales volume each but multiply all the ones sold at, say, garage sales x 52 weeks a year, country wide, and I think the figure for total sales could be quite significant.

          Comment


          • #6
            Would like to do a count of the number of times "vinyl" is mentioned on BBC 6Music, partly fuelled by RSD I'm sure. My perception is that plotted on a graph it would show an exponential rise of late.

            Listening to Liz Kershaw on Saturday afternoon (while gardening) she mentioned the records she had just bought in charity shops and that they ranged in price from 50p - £5 "depending on how switched on the staff were". She proceeded to play Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy as being one of her purchases (the album with it on I think as she referred to her mum having it on 8 track back in the day) and happily stated she had paid £5 for it! She then went on to encourage all charity shops to wake up to the new vinyl tide and start up-pricing their records accordingly. I'm all for charities making money, but thanks a bunch Liz!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by candiman View Post
              ..She then went on to encourage all charity shops to wake up to the new vinyl tide and start up-pricing their records accordingly. I'm all for charities making money, but thanks a bunch Liz!
              Who is that woman? I think she is a self-congratulatory, wannabe celebrity. Sounds like she is needy. Needy to ingratiate herself with "trends" so she looks cool - when she is not.....and then in the hope of making friends with all the charity shops so she appears benevolent, (and because the cool people rejected her), she did what she thought would work...ahh but destroyed everything cool around her in the process.
              Par for the course, though.
              <yawn>

              FREE SPEECH!
              One each.

              ~ Roy Harper

              Comment


              • #8
                There was a story about how vinyl is making a comeback, on the 6pm news (ABSOLUTE prime time) on probably the largest and oldest commercial TV networks in Australia. Many millions of people would have seen it or heard about it.
                If that's not saying vinyl has gone "mainstream" - then I can't think of anything that would say it more.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by candiman View Post
                  Would like to do a count of the number of times "vinyl" is mentioned on BBC 6Music, partly fuelled by RSD I'm sure. My perception is that plotted on a graph it would show an exponential rise of late.

                  Listening to Liz Kershaw on Saturday afternoon (while gardening) she mentioned the records she had just bought in charity shops and that they ranged in price from 50p - £5 "depending on how switched on the staff were". She proceeded to play Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy as being one of her purchases (the album with it on I think as she referred to her mum having it on 8 track back in the day) and happily stated she had paid £5 for it! She then went on to encourage all charity shops to wake up to the new vinyl tide and start up-pricing their records accordingly. I'm all for charities making money, but thanks a bunch Liz!
                  It's funny. I work in the Beeb's Music Archive and I can confirm that the only shows that ever borrow any vinyl are Jarvis Cocker and Gideon Coe. They did have a "vinyl day" a few years back which didn't so much celerate the format as point and laugh at it in a kind of patronising way. "Ooh! Ooh! Crackles! How quaint!".
                  Drastically reduced to 72p

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "We get that f**king vinyl is back, says everyone

                    15-04-15



                    EVERYONE is now fully aware of vinyl’s resurgence and would prefer to hear no more about it, it has been confirmed.

                    As a vinyl chart is launched to further reinforce public awareness of records, consumers said they got the message about three years ago when news websites were averaging 6,294 ‘vinyl is back’ stories per month.

                    Mother-of-two Susan Traherne said: “Apparently vinyl has returned because people prefer the physicality of a thin black disc, and it sounds more organic, and they like the cover art.

                    “I have involuntarily absorbed that information from briefly glancing at several hundred articles and television news packages on the subject.

                    “However I DO NOT GIVE A F**.”

                    She added: “I actually like records but this topic is far less interesting than middle-aged male journalists think it is.”

                    Plumber Roy Hobbs said: “I am happy for record shops, but I am equally happy to just assume that they exist and that records can be purchased from them.

                    “Please God nobody start buying Betamax videos again or we’ll have to spend the next five years hearing about that.”

                    Vinyl sales data shows that 98 per cent of records sold in the last year were by Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher, or are One Direction picture discs purchased on Record Store Day to be immediately re-sold on eBay."
                    instagram.com/vinylhoard

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I won't believe it until the Fast Show gets resurrected and Jesse is seen emerging from his shed uttering the immortal words "This week I have been mostly playing vinyl" (without the s of course).

                      (I would add a picture of Jesse but can't seem to do that at work).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mang View Post
                        It's funny. I work in the Beeb's Music Archive and I can confirm that the only shows that ever borrow any vinyl are Jarvis Cocker and Gideon Coe. They did have a "vinyl day" a few years back which didn't so much celerate the format as point and laugh at it in a kind of patronising way. "Ooh! Ooh! Crackles! How quaint!".
                        What about Stuart Maconie - had him pegged as a vinyl lover?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                          What about Stuart Maconie - had him pegged as a vinyl lover?
                          I think he maybe occasionally borrowed some when The Freak Zone was made in-house. It's now made by Somethin' Else I think. I would imagine his Freakier Zone guests bring their own...
                          Drastically reduced to 72p

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Remember hearing Maconie dismissing the idea of collecting vinyl when doing one of his northern soul shows (as he constantly bangs on about his love of soul & disco, as though it's unusual for a male to like this stuff). Bit rich when you consider he wouldnt have all these CD's of rare soul 45's to play if somone hadn't gone and searched them out in the first place.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by candiman View Post
                              I won't believe it until the Fast Show gets resurrected and Jesse is seen emerging from his shed uttering the immortal words "This week I have been mostly playing vinyl" (without the s of course).

                              (I would add a picture of Jesse but can't seem to do that at work).
                              NIIICE!!! GRRREAT!!!
                              ------------------------------------------------------
                              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X