Favourite 'ethno surf' performance by ВИА Айгуль

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite 'ethno surf' performance by ВИА Айгуль

As Gingham Kitchen has pointed out recently, there has been a dearth of polls on VG+. To answer this call, I ask you, what is your favourite 'ethno surf' performance by ВИА Айгуль from 1973?

There are three to choose from:

1. Concert hall, multiple Jew’s harps, high tempo chorus, horns, paddle-bell instrument, applause and well done flowers.

2. Open-air, wistful, back to nature with ghostly organs, guitars and pretty metronomic drummer.

3. Mountains & delightful folk dance, jaunty lilt, excellent flappy dance, guitar, ghostly organ.

ВИА Айгуль was created from the female students of the Kazakh State Women's Pedagogical Institute. Translated "Aigul" means "Moon Flower". This poetic image accurately reflected the then age and state of mind of the participants of this extraordinary team. Young, beautiful, passionate abandon their art, they are a young country, a young Kazakhstan. And, like a gentle, beautiful flower, revealed during numerous appearances in public their remarkable talent. In the history of VIA "Aigul" it did not work so many people - only 12 organized team and was its undisputed leader of the academician of the Higher School, Doctor of Education Sciences, Professor Marat Baltabaev Hamitovich. Being under the influence of a very popular time of the film "Some Like It Hot" with Marilyn Monroe, M.Baltabaev decided to create his Kazakh jazz band. The idea to name the "Aigul" ensemble future belonged to him, and he wrote a song with the same name, which became the anthem of the team. All performances of the ensemble begins with her. "Aigul" create small masterpieces that combine national folk tradition and modernity. This was achieved wide range of selection of musical instruments, including ancient and contemporary electro dombra, half-forgotten-shan kobyz and electric guitar. Synthesis of old and new is expressed primarily in the ability to transmit folk tunes with modern musical language. These are distinctive trends ensemble "Aigul", give it a unique and special attraction. Quickly gained recognition in their own country, "Aigul" traveled with concerts throughout Kazakhstan, the Soviet Union and dozens of countries around the world. Warmly greeted his audience GDR, Yugoslavia, Poland, France, Japan, Egypt, Mongolia. In 1969, VIA "Aigul" became the winner of the All-Union television competition "Hello, we are looking for talent" in 1975 - awarded the title of "People's art collective," and In 1977 the ensemble was awarded the Lenin Komsomol. Upon graduation, participants VIA "Aigul" played together even 8-9 years. But as VIA was amateur, then with the arrival of family and professional concerns ensemble ceased to exist.
    http://www.sssrviapesni.narod.ru/aygul.html

All videos taken from this ace film, which has some even better ‘Moon Flower’ tracks, but not this Kazakh cruncher. The other vids by the uploader are well worth a look, including a Soviet record shop from 1978.

PS Gogo/Funky Charly if you are holding Айгуль I am there!
    1. Concert hall, Multiple Jew’s harps, high tempo chorus, horns, bell, applause & well done flowers.
    20.00%
    2. Open-air, wistful, back to nature with ghostly organs, guitars and pretty metronomic drummer.
    66.67%
    3. Mountains & delightful folk dance, jaunty lilt, excellent flappy dance, guitar, ghostly organ.
    13.33%
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Definately number 2
    There's something a bit fishy about the first one - where are the horns????

Can we assume from the 'Some Like It Hot' influence that all of the 'girls' are acutally 'boys'?
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

i know i have to vote, but i'm unsure.
      can someone help me out?
      i have a slight tendency towards number three, but maybe just because no2 already got two votes...
      Last edited by effi_deep; 23-04-2015, 05:17 PM.
      Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Torn between 2 and 3 but decided 3 was too twee.
        http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

I voted No 1 for the paddle bell instrument, but I also like the organists one-handed moves in 2.

I can´t actually listen to them because my workmate is playing Beverley Knight, Kleshay and the Honeyz and will brook no interruption of British R&B divaz.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

#1 edges it for me, but would like to see more of the bass player in #2.
            https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
            http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
            https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
            https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

god, now i feel i totally wasted my vote on no3!
              Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

I've just played them all at the same time.. sounded confussing

Comment

I haven't voted yet and am also in a quandry. I really like the flappy dance thing in 3, it's a very healthy performance, but poor song. 2 *is* perhaps a bit too on trend in a spectral way but I do like the quiet professional enthusiasm it's performed in. The absence of horns in 1 is troubling, but the whole razmatazz of the thing is very persuasive.

I am going to go to the post office, then gonna cook an aubergine salad and have a think. I don't want to feel like I wasted my vote like Sevi did.
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

I am going to go to the post office, then gonna cook an aubergine salad .
                    Maybe a traditional Kazakh dish might put you in a more appropriate frame of mind.

Ulpershek is a dish made from the heart, aorta, and fat of a horse, prepared in a kettle, and is often shared between sisters-in-law as a sign of unity. Kazy is a sausage eaten in the spring when a cow has a new calf; it is a giant sausage sometimes served with rice or kurt. Mypalau is a dish made from sheep's brain, made by putting the brain in a wooden bowl, adding marrow, pieces of meat, salted fat in broth, and garlic, and this dish is then often served to honored guests. Akshelek is a large camel bone distributed to children after slaughtering and cooking meat from a camel.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                      Maybe a traditional Kazakh dish might put you in a more appropriate frame of mind.

[I]Ulpershek is a dish made from the heart, aorta, and fat of a horse, prepared in a kettle
                      I'm off to source the ingredients right now...

Comment

Number 1 because that's the tune I hear in my head each time I gallop into the pass to shoot a bunch of no good critters who are holding my brother to ransom because of a disagreement we have over cattle, and whether it should in be fenced or not.
                        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I'm going for number two - while the others have their merits, it's the second one where they're truly channelling California '67 - the best thing though is that if you watch the metronomic drummer (pretty as she is) close enough, you can almost read her thoughts....'in your face, Strawberry Alarm Clock...'
                          you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

3 fo' sure.
                            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              Akshelek is a large camel bone distributed to children after slaughtering and cooking meat from a camel.[/I]
                              I wouldn't mind one of them to toss about in the hot sun.

btw THINGS ALL CHANGED on the dinner front and I was instructed not to bother and we have had sausage & liver which to be honest was rather nice. My fianceé loves a bit of offal.

Comment

Working...
                              X