johnny hammond's removed expletives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnny hammond's removed expletives

On his album "Don't let the system get you"(Milestone 1978) the title track (which is great) is ruined by some righteous dude bleeping out all of Johnny Hammond's fine expletives. Does anyone know if there is an original 'uncut' version anywhere? Anyone got any other favourite examples of - "it-would-have-been-a-fantastic-track-if-only-they-hadn't...."?
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

I have the same problem with a Don Covey album too...don't have it to hand but it's the one with the brilliant gatefold where he's dressed as a cavalier on it....right at the begining of one of the tracks,i thinks it's called bad luck, has the words "break down baby" that Shadow samples on Entroducing

One of the really good tracks has a big bleep on it which sounds stupid when you play it out...
    Last edited by Shiftless When Idle; 14-03-2005, 06:43 PM.
    Country be dyin like poor people do
    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

... on topic but a slightly more bizarre (or obvious) example for me is Schooly D's "I Don't Like Rock And Roll", the British issue on Rhythm King has got great chunks of Schooly's rap bleeped out. And i don't mean blip, I mean "bleeeeeeeeeeeep!", if you know what I mean...
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

great topic. Been wondering for a while about the Calendar - Hyper Tension track with that annoying beep half way through it. Anyone ever hear a version without it? Surely there must have been an original recording without the beep.
        Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I have a Johnny Cash record (maybe a budget press of 'Fulsom Prison Blues'?) that's been 'edited'.

But I do like some of the sounds that are used to clean up hip hop today, some producers get quite creative with their radio mixes.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

"peelb a naht retteb si gnihtyna"

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
              I have a Johnny Cash record (maybe a budget press of 'Fulsom Prison Blues'?) that's been 'edited'.
              Edited how? I'm sure its not him, but Bob Johnston dubbed some extra stuff on the 'live' Folsom album, like extra shouts by the inmates. However, as he did it in London, some of them are disturbingly somewhat cockney.

Always makes me laugh that story.
              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

summertime by herb alpert

at the end of alperts nice summertime version (on the sametitled record) there are a couple of (i think two) stupid parts. like a tape is playin to fast for maybe a second or like your spinning back your record softly and short while its playing. guess the engineer had a couple of drinks back then...
                or is it just on my record???

i'm confused by that peep during hypertension too!!!
                Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
                  Edited how? I'm sure its not him, but Bob Johnston dubbed some extra stuff on the 'live' Folsom album, like extra shouts by the inmates. However, as he did it in London, some of them are disturbingly somewhat cockney.
                  I need to check exactly which LP it is but it's definitely got silenced moments on it...
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I love funk and I love swearing, so the Johnny Hammond episode depresses me.
                    Apart from Blowfly and the last poets, does anyone else have any pottymouthed funk suggestions? My all time favourites for cursing are 'Roforofo Fight' and 'ITT' by Fela, both of which feature four letter content over churning beats.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

How about a reggae one? Found a 7" by Max Romeo called Shitting in the Dock of the Bay...which is pure filth...and i've got a 7" by Bereford Trout...apparently he's got a long warm spout...which he procede's to describe in very inimate detail

It's a private press from Doncaster of all places

The early 70's produced alot of filth i reckon....i bet Big Jim Hammond was behind it by the look of him on those covers...lucky git
                      Country be dyin like poor people do
                      Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
                        How about a reggae one? Found a 7" by Max Romeo called Shitting in the Dock of the Bay...which is pure filth
                        just searching for this after passing up a copy at the weekend, and suddenly panicked that it was super rare.

was under a fake looking pseudonym (Alfonso Dufius or something), and on his shortlived Romax label. track's a cover of a Blowfly number btw...

is yours on a UK label?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                          I need to check exactly which LP it is but it's definitely got silenced moments on it...
                          The Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin album has a bleep or two - at the end of A Boy Called Sue: "...cos I'm the ********* who named you Sue".

Comment

as a young scamp about 9 or 10, i was thrilled to find an lp in my dad's collection titled
                            The Jock Strapp Ensemble sing Rugby Songs.

Slapping it on the Dansette i was amazed to find a group of men singing some what i assumed were some very rude songs.

I could only assume because every rude word was beeped out.
                            Now for an album whose 'raison d'etre' was it's use of rude words i thought this quite odd.
                            It was also quite interesting to try to figure out what the words were and for some time afterwards my vocab was full of words, which although 'rhymed' with some quite extreme profantities weren't quite right.

Comment

Thats not the album with a leering rugby player pulling a blondes shorts down on the cover, is it? My dad had a copy of that, but I never summoned up the courage to play it.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X