Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turntable help!

The picture speaks for itself......

Obviously I was too cack handed. Is there anything I do with this? Bearing in mind I don't solder or anything like that...

http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
    www.the-onyx.co.uk
    www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Oops, looks like you will have to buy a new headshell then. I don't think soldering the green cable would do any good. Good luck.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

I'd run away and hope nobody noticed....paging Eclectiktronik!....
      you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Ouch, been there and done that (at the other end of the tonearm, though - don't ask!).. i don't think soldering would do any good so your tonearm probably needs a professional re-wiring - chances are it will be almost as costly as the new tonearm (RB250?)
        The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Is it a Pro-ject turntable? You'll need a new tonearm inner cable as trying to re-connect that broken wire will give you all sorts of problems. If you know anyone who can solder it's a pretty simple job. Re-threading it through the tonearm might be tricky but I would knot the new wire to the old one and use that to pull it through.

Comment

Thanks! Yes, it is a Pro-Ject. I did see the replacement cables but wasn't sure how to connect the whole thing up! I do have an audio guy who could do it for me, but slightly worried about the cost.

I do have an electrician mate who would no doubt have no problems with the soldering. With the tone arm off and the new cables fed through, is fairly obvious?

Most fustrating part was I was replacing the cartridge in preperation for selling and upgrading. Would love to be able to blame many of the other things in the house that could have been distracting me, but I was just an idiot and not concentrating properly!!
            www.the-onyx.co.uk
            www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

I let my audio shop do the cartridge replace. Guy says he get a fair bit of re-wiring jobs due to DIY replacement failures on these.
              It's a quick job for him so he does it for free if you bring in the TT and buy the cartridge from him.
              ------------------------------------------------------
              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by rprest View Post
                but I was just an idiot and not concentrating properly!!
                This is excatly what happened to me, and it cost me 200€ - a lesson learnt
                The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Originally posted by blue burt View Post
                  This is excatly what happened to me, and it cost me 200€ - a lesson learnt
                  Oh dear.....!! I think I'll have to go for the replacement wire kit and hope my mate is skilled with a hot iron!
                  www.the-onyx.co.uk
                  www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

You wont be able to solder that back together as the heat will melt the outer , the only poss bodge is to get a new surgical scalpel and try bearing the sheath back till you see a bit of the inner on both ends then holding them together and dropping a drop of superglue on it and just hope you have a connection !!!
                    Not easy but nothing to lose, but then again nor is a rewire easy

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                      You wont be able to solder that back together as the heat will melt the outer , the only poss bodge is to get a new surgical scalpel and try bearing the sheath back till you see a bit of the inner on both ends then holding them together and dropping a drop of superglue on it and just hope you have a connection !!!
                      Not easy but nothing to lose, but then again nor is a rewire easy
                      As the intention was to prepare for selling, I wouldn't want to be the buyer...
                      ------------------------------------------------------
                      "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

For sure. thats why I used the word bodge, then still basically unsellable

If it was me I'd be looking to buy one of these and take the arm off it as it would be cheaper and easier , this one's being sold as spares/repairs so just perfect and it has the same rb250 arm and the wiring looks good in the pics

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-533-Tu...item25a5be9aff

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I think first step will be to contact my local audio tech guy (sadly not a great deal of choice down this way) and see what he quotes me to re-wire. I was hoping I may be able to do something myself, but it sounds like it's really not that straight forward and as I'm planning on selling it I should get it done properly! well, let's see what the cost is first
                          www.the-onyx.co.uk
                          www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

Whilst it's Rega, it might apply to the Pro-ject. Good to know how it should be done.

http://www.vinylengine.com/hotwiredrega.pdf

Comment

Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Working...
                              X