Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

essential artists you never really got...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• essential artists you never really got...

so yesterday i had one of these record moments when everything fits together perfectly.
    you know those right? you're in front of the shelf and recordplayer and know exactly what you want to listen to next, no matter what genre no matter what style and you just can't believe how good everything is and so on and then you become unbelievably happy and you notice how incredibly wide your taste in music has developed and that there are no boundaries and if one big speaker connected to your little amp would fill the earth with sound right now there would be global peace and everyone would agree that you should be king of all and so on etc etc.
    so, i had one of these moments and then being high like i was, i was convinced i would fall in love with gal costas india lp for the first time.
    but i didn't. it was like a riddle impossible for me to solve. again and still.
    and i tried the whole thing. nothing. not even the slightest feeling.
    and i can see everything it offers, but it leaves me absolutely cold.
    and so did all her other records i heard and had which were gal costa, gal, india, caymmi, agua viva, juntos and minha voz.
    nothing.
    and this is why people will never accept me as their king. it's bloody gal costa!
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

not even a little feeling for "Relance" ??? You should put your head in the oven! (or at least give that song another go)
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
      not even a little feeling for "Relance" ??? You should put your head in the oven!
      thats exactly what i want to do when i hear it.
      i still have soft feelings for "pontos de luz" though.

Comment

I'm listening to it now via Youtube and I like it well enough, though I can't say I'm in love with it. Maybe reading up on the lyrics would help? It's kinda where you are as well - for me, I'm on a bit of a journey of discovery with Brazilian music so I'm listening to it with that curiousity and enthusiasm which is making me like it.

If it just ain't taking, hit me up for trades?
        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

BTW I think it's good not to like things sometimes, it shows you have your own mind and tastes.
          "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

While I sympathise with your problem, I can't let an opportunity pass, so if its a Brazilian OG I'd take it off your hands! (cash/trade). I'm not a huge Brazilian music fan but I love Gal Costa's 70s LPs.
            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

India is part of the furniture in our house - one of those records we´ve returned to over and over for 15 years, and is associated with long, lazy, magical weekends

It´s a strange, great, lush jungle of a record. It often seems still and stately, but look closer and it´s always buzzing with life, dynamism and beauty. Gal´s voice isn´t as spectacular or powerful as, say, Elis Regina´s , but it´s entirely unique and enchanting. She´s a genuine diva - one of those female artists who inspires worship.

No one will accept you as your king until you get on your knees before the Queen.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Gal´s voice isn´t as spectacular or powerful as, say, Elis Regina´s , but it´s entirely unique and enchanting.

This is what I've been struck with on first listen. Particuarly with those Portoguese vowels just rolling off her tounge.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                  India is part of the furniture in our house - one of those records we´ve returned to over and over for 15 years, and is associated with long, lazy, magical weekends

It´s a strange, great, lush jungle of a record. It often seems still and stately, but look closer and it´s always buzzing with life, dynamism and beauty. Gal´s voice isn´t as spectacular or powerful as, say, Elis Regina´s , but it´s entirely unique and enchanting. She´s a genuine diva - one of those female artists who inspires worship.

No one will accept you as your king until you get on your knees before the Queen.
                  as a true king, we can see what you are saying. and we agree with everything you told us (although we are not feeling it).
                  therefore we will grant you the right to listen to gal costa whenever you want.
                  we can however, not accept you worship someone else than our royal highness, creator of this thread.

Comment

Sorry King Sevi, I chose my side I will see you on the battlefield.
                    The choice isnt that hard really.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Neil Young - what's that all about then?
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Can
                        To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Big Star
                          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

I'm a bit puzzled. Did you like those Gal Costa records when you bought them? Or did you buy them because you thought you should like them? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick (again!)?
                            I definitely still have records I liked when I bought them, and feel indifferently towards them now, but haven't done it the other way around.
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                              Can
                              That is heretical.

I think what got me when I first heard 'em was the embrace of the bottom end - bass and drums - Czukay and Liebzeit. I recall hearing a documentary discuss them and the person speaking said they were similar to black music in this regard, reggae and soul. Coming from a hip hop background (and having that omnipresent reggae osmosis that living in London does to you), I think this is what got me first(and lots of other my generation). It's the tension between this and the more free, out there aspects of their music that get me - you can hear it on something like "Mushroom".

Comment

Working...
                              X