Niche Renaissance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niche Renaissance

I'm interested in how, at the moment, there is a renaissance in a certain kind of weird films and music. It was sparked by watching Duke of Burgundy last night. With that and that Field in England film it's as though a small group of film-makers and musicians in fact (I'm thinking Ghost Box, Trunk and the like) are making things specifically for the people on VGplus. The influences are a mixture of Giallo, Czech new wave, library music and those cult British tv shows such as The Owl Service, Children of the Stones and so on and so forth. Massive touch stones for a large percentage of everyone here but who else is watching their descendants? Somebody I guess, there must be a bit of a market cos they keep turning up. But I wonder, how many people are watching them cos of all these old references - and if people are is that a good thing or not? How many of these things are actually any good or are we just watching cos they were inspired by things we like and are arguably just formulaic and kind of custom built to suck us in?
    Just some musings there, I dunno what I think but I'd be interested to know what others think about this phenomenon? I mean, I'm not really asking a coherent question or even nailing down the genre very well but I think people do know the kind of things I mean and I'd be keen to hear any thoughts about them really.

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
    I'm interested in how, at the moment, there is a renaissance in a certain kind of weird films and music. It was sparked by watching Duke of Burgundy last night. With that and that Field in England film it's as though a small group of film-makers and musicians in fact (I'm thinking Ghost Box, Trunk and the like) are making things specifically for the people on VGplus. The influences are a mixture of Giallo, Czech new wave, library music and those cult British tv shows such as The Owl Service, Children of the Stones and so on and so forth. Massive touch stones for a large percentage of everyone here but who else is watching their descendants? Somebody I guess, there must be a bit of a market cos they keep turning up. But I wonder, how many people are watching them cos of all these old references - and if people are is that a good thing or not? How many of these things are actually any good or are we just watching cos they were inspired by things we like and are arguably just formulaic and kind of custom built to suck us in?
    Just some musings there, I dunno what I think but I'd be interested to know what others think about this phenomenon? I mean, I'm not really asking a coherent question or even nailing down the genre very well but I think people do know the kind of things I mean and I'd be keen to hear any thoughts about them really.
    This is my kind of Renaissance niche

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

OK, no-one too interested in debating the phenomenon... but at least recommend me some more stuff like this, so far I got: Duke of Burgundy and Berberian Sound Studio, A Field in England, Amer and The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears (films), Ghost Box, Trunk, Finders Keepers, Broadcast (music) - what am I missing?

Comment

Oh and Pencilface suggested Black Rainbow to me too.

Comment

You're probably right; they are making these records just for people on this board. I'm exaggerating a bit but I don't imagine large runs for most of these records, and I can't imagine them having mass appeal, but you only need a few soft buggers like me, from the 70s, who hear Belbury Poly, say, and are transported back to their youth when it all seemed a lot simpler, and pleasanter. Then you've got yourself a little business which isn't going to make you rich but will keep you, and many others very happy for a time. Most of this stuff is very good and, were it not, I wouldn't buy it. If a Bay City Rollers revival comes around I'm not on board, but even back then I knew that a lot of those bits of music behind the test-card were fabulous, and tried to record them by putting a microphone to the TV. I also used to use my mum's cine camera to record the TV screen when things like 'The Avengers' was on. I took photographs of the screen too but they always had banding across them. It's no coincidence that there are many great LP's of old TV/Film themes but really no modern ones- or if there are they are probably stuff like you've mentioned, made with a backward glance. Also, with a lot of it, we've just been kept waiting. How bloody long did it take before you could actually buy the music from The Wicker Man on an LP. I still haven't seen that 'Witchfinder General' LP they were threatening a few years back. I know the CD came out but where's the record? I'm sure someone on here said they got it but it's not mentioned on discogs. So anyway, it's only just becoming available to buy, perhaps, and that's why we are leaping on it. Internet's to blame for a lot of it, of course, but I love having it available.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I'm interested. Broadcast would seem to be an obvious starting point/precursor for all this stuff. They did the OST for Berberian Sound Studio. (Edit: sorry just saw you mentioned them). There's also the various blogs that support this kinda thing - Toys and Techniques seem the most obvious one. I've got a great 45 by Roj, which is on - I think - Peter Strickland's label. You can listen to it on Boomkat here.

Nice little film from the two of them here:
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

To actually debate a bit more, I think there is a (slightly) wider audience for these things, than just people on here. Both Berberian Sound System and A Field in England did quite a lot of press, just because they are interesting and innovative British films, and British film-making is a small enough world that anything unique will get a bit of attention. A Field in England had an innovative release strategy that helped it out, and Ben Wheatley has a few fans.

Whether this has any reach beyond people of our generation, i don't know. You could say it's a sign of extended adolescence - people in their mids 30s and 40s having their very own special pop culture made for them, rather than ceding space for da yoof.
              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Rich, I'm of the opinion the the past is constantly being forked and dug over, particularly now in the early 21st century. The type of gear you refer to is the type of gear that you and us vgplussers gravitate towards, so it is natural that we will find it in some shape or form.
                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

OK, no-one too interested in debating the phenomenon...
                  OK, no-one too interested in debating the phenomenon...
                  I think we´ve debated it quite a bit before, in threads about hauntology, retromania etc.

I don´t think it´s as niche as you think. Most people of a certain age will have encountered library music, scary 70s kids programmes etc, they just haven´t chosen to go too deeply into it. Meanwhile giallo and Czech new wave will be second-hand, "manufactured" nostalgia for most of us.

This recent piece in the Guardian was interesting in a more general way. I don´t agree with all of it, but I think he was right to locate the current popularity of M R James, Watkins, etc very firmly in the 70s, rather than their own time, and the observations about left wing dissent are thought-provoking, too.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I think we´ve debated it quite a bit before, in threads about hauntology, retromania etc.
                    Probably true, it's just that I've caught up with everyone and watched the films now so I know what everyone is on about and I want to join in. Hauntology is the word was skirting around, when I first joined on dissensus in 2006 it was the word du jour and every other thread had it in the title. Hauntology, I understand, comes from Derrida and it's a kind of play on ontology (the study of what exists) cos the words are pronounced the same in French. Hauntology is the study of what could have existed if things had gone in a different direction - an imagined parallel universe existing next to ours in which, instead of Star Wars, the super blockbuster that all films had to take account of was something understated and weird with library music over the titles. I guess it describes (or is one way of describing) what is going on but equally you could discuss all these things without feeling the need to mention it whatsoever.

I don´t think it´s as niche as you think. Most people of a certain age will have encountered library music, scary 70s kids programmes etc, they just haven´t chosen to go too deeply into it. Meanwhile giallo and Czech new wave will be second-hand, "manufactured" nostalgia for most of us.

This is an interesting point. For me it's pretty niche cos (I think anyway) I'm just a little bit younger than most people here and can't remember the seventies. I have to go and investigate that stuff to know about it, but for many it was what they experienced growing up.
                    And you don't have to go into it deeply - one person can watch it and pick up on all the references, and someone else can watch it and enjoy it and say "It reminds me dimly of some telly I watched when I was younger" and its done its job. You can take as much from it as you want to I suppose.
                    What's this Guardian piece you mention cheers?

Comment

Something weird going on here, I don't know why it repeated your post twice - once in the quotes and once without, and it won't let me edit it.

Comment

Blake's 7

BBC prime time, how times have changed.
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

And people wonder why some of us grew up a bit weird!
                          Everyone tear down your own little wall
                          That keeps you from being a part of it all
                          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

What's this Guardian piece you mention cheers?
                            Sorry, forgot to post the link.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...ert-macfarlane
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Thanks, I will read that now. I have just this sec watched Beyond the Black Rainbow (not Black Rainbow as I stated above, there is a film with that name but it's different) and I enjoyed it a lot. Partly, I have to admit, due to all the other things it made me think about. But it looked absolutely amazing and there was a narrative there that was enough, for me at least. It reminded me a little of those two really early Cronenberg films whose name I forget just now.
                              But anyway, been thinking about this a bit more - all of the things mentioned above seem to have a kind of european sensibility to me - in fact, except for Beyond The Black Rainbow, they are European. To me, the obvious American equivalent to this is Tarantino - his films are openly inspired by and reference loads of cult and trash films. They are much brasher and louder than, say, Duke of Burgundy, but then so are the films he's influenced by. I'd say that, in the UK at least, there isn't the same amount of trashy horror, biker, prison etc films to borrow from and so the UK strand of retromania ends up being different from the US one but the methodology is surely similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X