Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The lost art of the TV theme - Radio 4 docu

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The lost art of the TV theme - Radio 4 docu

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tq6zy

    Anyone catch this yesterday? Top work, includes an interview with Alan Hawkshaw

  • #2
    Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tq6zy

    Anyone catch this yesterday? Top work, includes an interview with Alan Hawkshaw
    No, I didn't but thanks for the heads up - I'll give it a go. Oddly enough I was thinking this week about where all the good TV themes had gone. They sure are thin on the ground these days - racked my brain and the only current one I could think of was this one by a young composer named Josh Wynter, who has clearly been studying his Laurie Johnson.....

    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

    Comment


    • #3
      Reminds me of how contemporary music sounds like plastic at times, compared with the Golden analogue age...
      Easy Sounds channel
      Easy Sounds blog

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
        No, I didn't but thanks for the heads up - I'll give it a go. Oddly enough I was thinking this week about where all the good TV themes had gone. They sure are thin on the ground these days - racked my brain and the only current one I could think of was this one by a young composer named Josh Wynter, who has clearly been studying his Laurie Johnson.....

        Indeed.

        Watched the first episode of "The Game" over the weekend - and was pleasantly surprised that it had an original theme! Definite hints of "The Persuaders" and "The Ipcress Files" in there:

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...game-episode-1

        Comment


        • #5
          Very few TV shows seem to have actual intros and credit sequences these days, so proper themes are few and far between. It wasn't written for the show, but the Enoch Light sampling music to 'Mad Men' is one contemporary theme that really hits the spot, especially as so many others just seem to be a repetition of swirling dramatic strings.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

          Comment


          • #6
            I know I've posted this elsewhere before: here's a clip (from Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe) of Matt Berry discussing Ronnie Hazlehurst themes. Part of his angle is exactly what's said above : TV shows don't seem to have proper titles and credits anymore.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
              Indeed.

              Watched the first episode of "The Game" over the weekend - and was pleasantly surprised that it had an original theme! Definite hints of "The Persuaders" and "The Ipcress Files" in there:

              http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...game-episode-1
              Not a bad show, but they blew continuity last week by having a 'Protect & Survive' ad on TV. In 1970. Never happened.
              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                Not a bad show, but they blew continuity last week by having a 'Protect & Survive' ad on TV. In 1970. Never happened.
                Haven't watched episode 2 yet but Protect & Survive was all about the early 1980s if memory serves - the ads would have only been shown on TV if nuclear war was perceived to be imminent...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Precisely.
                  SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This was one of the best, most concise "how to" guides for theme composition that I'm aware of. Using the rhythm of the title of the show as the basis of a theme or phrase is an inspired idea.
                    http://www.blaxploitation.com
                    Chops for show, groove for dough.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X