Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burst boiler water-soaked nightmare query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burst boiler water-soaked nightmare query?

My boiler broke and pissed A LOT of water onto approx half my records. This is clearly shit.

Most were in plastic sleeves, but not all. And some water has defo got in done of the sleeves. Has anyone had a similar mishap? Any advice on how to clean this mess up?

I'm assuming the records will all be fine, but the resale value has disappeared now thanks to fucked sleeves! Bloody hell!
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Silver lining: 45s and Brazilian bits were elsewhere so are unscathed
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Try drying them out in the airing cupboard, unless your boilers in there and it leaks upwards...............Sorry!!

Comment

Hahaha
        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

HA HA HA HA HA HA
          Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
            HA HA HA HA HA HA
            Again sorry

Found this on books http://theepicenter.com/tow05166.html

Comment

Oh no Joe, sorry to hear that... Maybe if you list the unsalvagable ones on here, perhaps anyone who by some coincidence has a spare sleeve, or perhaps a sleeve housing a f**ked copy, might be kind enough to send it your way?! I'll certainly have a look

Sleeve-Aid starts here !!

Off the back of the election, this kind of news is almost too much to bear!
              the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Sounds bad. Well, depending on how much trouble you want to go to, the best thing is to separate the vinyl from the sleeves (and inner sleeves), dry off the sleeves as well as you can, and then dry them out in an airing cupboard - but keep them compressed to minimise wobble. Watch out for sleeves which are more susceptable to damage (e.g. any dutch CBS pressing from the late 70s is basically fcked, as the finish used on these sleeves does not survive waterdamage).
                Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

You have my deepest sympathies. I heard about a boiler pissing out like this last year or so and had this very fear as my main rack is sitting pretty well underneath on floor below. I've also developed an irrational fear of my records going up in smoke as since I moved house about eight years ago there's been three fires in the close, someone left an iron, another guy went out for the day leaving a bonfire to take care of itself, can't remember the third but suffice to say I don't bat an eye lid anymore when I pull into my street to find fire engine blocking my way. A steel/concrete reinforced panic room would calm these anxieties but I think that would be a step too far for the wife... again, my deepest sympathies

Regarding advice, I'm thankfully no expert on this but it goes without saying to dry separately, maybe when semi-dry sandwich covers with light pressure between rigid no-stick plastic, glass sheets etc to prevent waving/rippling of paper, use greaseproof paper either side and interleave gatefolds with greaseproof paper too

Comment

Ouch, Joe... I feel for you, I really do.

I can't really add anything to the advice above but my sympathy... hope you can save as many as possible.
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Blimey - nightmare time - I feel for you mate.

Comment

Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Fuck what a nightmare. Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed the records are alright at least.

Comment

might be a silly question but are you insured?

depending on the kind of insurance you have, you might be covered for this sort of damage, esp if you have/ can compile a list of the damaged items. sending the list to a (couple of) reputable dealers might get you a view on the loss of value... talk to Stapleton? or any of the other Brizzle folks that you know?

as for restoration of the sleeves, the stuff above sounds sensible.

all ends up, this is a sh!t situation, and i dread it ever happening. good luck.

Comment

Really sorry to hear this. Every record collectors worst nightmare

Hope you manage to salvage as many sleeves as possible. The airing cupboard option may lead to them rippling, but better that than having to chuck them all away.

Drop me a list of any Bolly LP's you've lost and I'll see if I have any spares kicking about (they'll be indian condition though I'm afraid)
                              it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                              take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Working...
                              X