Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is best London shop for Northern Soul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is best London shop for Northern Soul?

I have a friend of a work colleague coming down to London to do a spot of record shopping and he's after Northern Soul in particular. Not my scene really, but i thought of Soul Brothers in Putney....... any other good spots? Thanks!
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Anyone??!
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

It's a bit hit & miss - Flashback in Shoreditch had some good soul 45s when I was last there, & Eldica definitely worth a trip. Not sure if the Black Music Record Fair in Kilburn is still going - used to be 1st Sunday of the month. And the 2 guys selling soul 45s were at Spitalfields last Friday & always have good stock.

Comment

never been but there's http://www.broadwayboogaloo.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
          never been but there's http://www.broadwayboogaloo.co.uk/
          Ha - that's my local
          Don't know what it's like for northern soul but the owners is a total miserable git
          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
            Ha - that's my local
            Don't know what it's like for northern soul but the owners is a total miserable git
            A neccesary but not sufficent condition?
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              And the 2 guys selling soul 45s were at Spitalfields last Friday & always have good stock.
              Was one of those Piers? I heard he is always at Spitalfields? I keep meaning to have a day out and take in Spitalfields.

Comment

Man I hate that On Broadway shop, tons of dull records in the racks and you get told off for trying to look at any of the others stacked around. Never felt good handing over money to him but he does have many, many singles carefully preserved behind his desk which I assume must contain Northern raer.

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
                  Man I hate that On Broadway shop, tons of dull records in the racks and you get told off for trying to look at any of the others stacked around. Never felt good handing over money to him but he does have many, many singles carefully preserved behind his desk which I assume must contain Northern raer.
                  I get the same feeling - which is why I don't go in very often!
                  I did once ask him to play some stuff for me - which he did - and when I said "Its not what I was expecting," about one record, he replied "I don't know what you were expecting" - which I thought was a bit unnecessary.

There are loads of singles behind the desk. I've only ever looked at the punk/post punk ones and there were no gems - hidden or otherwise
                  If there are any Northern rares I'm sure he'll know that they are there and have priced them accordingly

He also seems to sell a lot on ebay - everytime I've been in he's parcelling stuff up
                  "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

That place sounds like a barrel of laughs.

At least at Haggle you would get sworn at and treated to a vaguely racist conspiracy theory/family story.
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Within the M25 and near a tube station so... Crazybeat?
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

The miserable bloke in 'Broadway' was called John iirc. Worked around there, spent a bit of money, so he was tolerant.

Don't think he's there any more. It was the owner in there last time I went, he's a more jolly chap.

There was a bit of music industry around the West at one point, and I think people used to ditch/trade their promo stuff in there.

Bought a few bits that I'd never seen before, only to find out later that somehow he'd got them weeks before release.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                          Within the M25 and near a tube station so... Crazybeat?
                          good shout.

Comment

Rolling Records

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
                              Was one of those Piers? I heard he is always at Spitalfields? I keep meaning to have a day out and take in Spitalfields.
                              No, but Piers is always there and likely to have interesting but not necessarily all that cheap 45s. There's a few sellers at Spitalfields likely to be ok for Northern Soul.
                              Boy George knew my father

Comment

Working...
                              X