Deep music in shallow places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep music in shallow places

Heard in a sandwich and soup shop near Aldgate.

Please add your own unexpected diamonds in the rough...

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but heard in the toilets of a crap disco in Omsk, Siberia once.

and continuing the toilet theme, this was playing inside a weird portaloo at a New York Dolls gig I went to under the arches at Waterloo a few years back.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

That BIG CHERRY 45 is a perennial fave - such a beautifully big and mad sound! The same guy produced the GALAHAD "rocket summer" 45 I believe?
      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

I recall catching some Rodriguez in a pub on the Yarra. Not trash exactly but definitely a makeshift operation.

Comment

My brother told me he first heard Rodriguez' "They said everbody gotta pay their dues, but I said that I had overpaid them" at Copenhagen Airport and was sold.
          LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

Heard in a local cafe /restaurant. They are part of a chain that exist in Bristol, Southampton and Reading(?) at least. Not really a shallow place though. They do have consitently excellent mixes of music but I was stiil surprised (and thrilled) to hear this:

Comment

I guess the people who run the local supermarket in Katoomba, NSW think that Pictures of Matchstick Men is "Muzak". I hear that while shopping there, some years ago. Could hardly believe it.

Comment

I passed the 99p shop and they were blasting Path Through The Forest by The Factory.
                galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Perhaps not quite the same thing, but context often matters, I was browsing in a cahmeists when they played House of Fun by Madness.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

This thread reminds me of a holiday in Menorca 15 years ago. There was beach shop selling the usual beach paraphernalia plus CDs on a revolving rack. Every cd was 'Ibiza club anthems' and the likes except for a random New Model Army album. Left me scratching my head.
                    https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I was snorkelling in two metres of water in 2006 when I heard this from the next beach down. They were kicking off a beachfront festival.

I swam along there and enjoyed the final 15 minutes in my trunks.
                      Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                        Perhaps not quite the same thing, but context often matters, I was browsing in a cahmeists when they played House of Fun by Madness.
                        For the win!
                        https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

At the weekend I went paintballing for the first ever time. While waiting to be kitted out was surprised to recognise the insane psychedelic breakdown from the Chambers Brothers - Time Has Come Today being piped through the speakers. Not at all what I was expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                            At the weekend I went paintballing for the first ever time.
                            Welcome to 1990. Are you taking up hacky-sacking as well?
                            LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

Originally posted by Big Youth View Post
                              This thread reminds me of a holiday in Menorca 15 years ago. There was beach shop selling the usual beach paraphernalia plus CDs on a revolving rack. Every cd was 'Ibiza club anthems' and the likes except for a random New Model Army album. Left me scratching my head.
                              Crusties innit?
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X