An adundance of riches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An adundance of riches?

There seem to be an incredbile amount of great live music to see at the moment. In the last month, I've seen Swans (last night in fact), Baby Dee and Paul Nilssen-Love. Every gig has been incredible. Maybe I've just hit the sweet spot between disposable income and targeted marketing but my God, there's a lot of stuff to go to. The next month brings:

Mudhobey (with Wolf People supporting)
    Boredoms
    Jaki Liebezeit
    Amon Duul 2

This is I guess in part due to great 70s bands reforming and doing a gig or two (or even 60s bands in the case of Kalidoscope). A band like Swans strike me as being at a high watermark of critical praise and crowd attraction. Also, a bit like debates about the relative cheapness of records vs other disposables, it strikes me that £15-20 for a evening's live entertainment, often with seveal support acts is an absolute bargain. Thoughts welcome.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

I was jealous to read a friend post this update on Facebook last night:

What a night! First time I've seen Swans live in 27 years. I'm levitating over North London...
    Sounds like a great gig. It makes sense there will be an embarassment of riches if musicians make most of their money performing not recording nowadays, as people say.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

They were thunderous. Really, really good.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

I saw Swans in 1985 at the Zap Club in Brighton. They filled most of the small arch with their own PA system so there wasn't a lot of room left for the audience. 'Loud' doesn't do it justice. My ears rang for 3 days.
        Trouser-flapping and cheek-wobbling it was. The nearest thing i can compare it to would be a very scary fairground ride.
        I saw them about a year later in a different venue (Pavilion Theatre) and it wasn't so extreme.

As far as gigs go - I don't go anymore. The last was about 10 years ago. I found the whole waiting around thing too much for me. Plus - I gave up drinking .... so that was the end of that.
        galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Upcoming for me/us;
          Henri Herbert
          The Gories (possibly)
          Jim Jones & The Righteous Mind. And possibly a couple that Tsundoku flagged up too!
          I still like to get out occasionally, but more and more it depends WHERE it is. Would have loved to have gone and seen Hughs band supporting Les Grys Grys, but it was at The Blues Kitchen in Camden. Went there once and vowed never to return. Nice large pub, but the band was effectively playing down the end of a corridor, which created a right old scrum for anyone who actually wanted to see the band as well as hear them. Has to be something special to get me in one of the larger venues nowadays.
          Definitely agree there is some good stuff about at the moment, especially if you live in the smoke And yes, £15-20 is still reasonable
          Everyone tear down your own little wall
          That keeps you from being a part of it all
          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

LIghtning bolt play Berlin in a month. Hell yeah Lightning Bolt.

Also Shit and Shine are on tour I hear.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Cafe Oto:

June 11th

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/charanjit-singh/

June 8/9/10: the Arkestra..

Comment

I've seen the Arkestra the last three times they've been in London. They've been fantastic every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                  There seem to be an incredbile amount of great live music to see at the moment. In the last month, I've seen Swans (last night in fact)
                  Question is, did you get any p***y?

Comment

Originally posted by jb stanislas View Post
                    Are you broken?
                    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

I know it's odd as I love music, but I've never been a big fan of it live....I've got to suffer the Fall tomorrow night!
                      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

lolathon!

Tsonduko is definitely on to something with the 'sweet spot' theory.

Recently I've seen Super Furry Animals, Lee Scratch Perry, Alabama 3, Magic Numbers, Candelas, The Falselights....it just goes on. Got tickets booked to see folk singer Sam Carter in a couple of months.

When I was 30 I thought I'd got to the age I had to stop going to gigs.

30 was a long time ago!

Comment

I'm finding completely the opposite problem. This is the first year I can remember where I have neither gigs nor Glasto to look forward to (the latter is the result of mates growing up and having babies, therefore a hiatus was the only option).

I can't work out whether the greater fault lies with me and my tastes, or whether I'm the victim of geography as Nottingham seems to be being bypassed nowadays, even by those bands who would have, years ago, been nailed on to play Rock City.

I tried to spread my wings and get down to Camden Roundhouse to see Faith No More next month (one of the very few of my favourite acts I've not seen other than on a multi-artist bill), but the tickets went in no time (I got sick of hitting F5) and then appeared on StubHub at quadruple face value within the hour. Surely StubHub can't continue to provide a vehicle for touts? Ideally, all major venues will adopt the Glastonbury policy of having photo ID etc incorporated in the ticket? Don't mind me, I just haven't moved on yet.

But, aside from my griping, there's still no substitute for the magic moments that happen during in a great gig. Black Sabbath made my 2014 - amazing. Fingers crossed that Mudhoney, The Fall, Lightning Bolt et al make a few of your years too.

Oh yea, I really should have gone to Nottingham to see Adam Ant doing 'Dirk Wears White Sox', but I failed to organise myself properly. Ho hum.

Fucking StubHub. Pah.

Give me a shout when Bowie plays The Rescue Rooms, yeah?
                          Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Got mogwai @ barrowlands/ glasgow coming up next month. Then later in the year, david gilmour @ royal albert hall/ London, SUPERDUPEREXCITED for this

Comment

Everyone tear down your own little wall
                              That keeps you from being a part of it all
                              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                              X