Polish Label Bleed: a warning from history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish Label Bleed: a warning from history

So I returned from a long weekend in Poland yesterday and immediately set to work washing the records I'd bought there with my state of the art Knosti Disco-Antistat Record Cleaning system:

Impressive eh?

Anyway, while the LP's were on the specially designed Knosti Disco-Antistat Record Drying Rack I noticed the colour was bleeding off several of the labels. The worst culprits were red Pronits.

Is this a common occurrence? I've never had this with any other record labels and I've bought some shoddily pressed crap in my time. If this is symptomatic of Soviet era build quality its a surprise the USSR didn't collapse a lot earlier.
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

This has happened to me too. Try spinning the LP once its out of the bath to get rid of as much fluid as possible, then dry horizontally. You could also try rinsing in distilled water before drying to get rid of the wetting agent though I'm not sure how much difference this makes.
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

It always happens to me. Every record on Muza (and sometimes on Balkanton) I get hold of bleeds as if it were flesh and blood. Paint it red, that is. I`m sorry you should have experienced the same bad action. I got used to it though
      DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

I found this early on with buying Polish records, them red Muza's are the worst, I always try to keep the labels dry which isn't easy!
        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Yes, I noticed that same thing when I used to wash them in the sink. Esp the red ones....looked like a scene from some Alfred Hitchcock film.

Comment

The other option is to use the wood glue method - much less convenient in my opinion but it does spare the label.
            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Attention - Red and blue Muza and Pronit, some blue Supraphon and early orange CBS made in Holland. And Funky Charly (without beeing Balkanton big fen) - never happens on my local Balkanton. May be the copies for export for USSR are like that - with more red ?

Comment

Originally posted by gogo View Post
                Attention - Red and blue Muza and Pronit, some blue Supraphon and early orange CBS made in Holland. And Funky Charly (without beeing Balkanton big fen) - never happens on my local Balkanton. May be the copies for export for USSR are like that - with more red ?
                'Red to the USSR' policy
                This one bled first for it was the very first BTA I ever grabbed back then
                http://www.discogs.com/Trio-Obektiv-...elease/2792643
                Hence, much more mishaps with Muza
                DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

I use one of these:

Groovmaster Label Saver Record Cleaner

Not cheap but is does protect the label and keep it dry when hand cleaning
                  "Will our children be sacraficial lambs offered up to ease the fears of the multinational corporations like so many brainwashed media zombies? Petroleum and it's byproducts should not be a dependancy in a technology based society. Nothing lasts for ever and we cannot ask God for our gasoline!" - from Flowers and Birds by Rise Robots Rise

Comment

Originally posted by Funky Charly View Post
                    'Red to the USSR' policy
                    This one bled first for it was the very first BTA I ever grabbed back then
                    http://www.discogs.com/Trio-Obektiv-...elease/2792643
                    Hence, much more mishaps with Muza
                    !

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneface View Post
                      I use one of these:

Groovmaster Label Saver Record Cleaner

Not cheap but is does protect the label and keep it dry when hand cleaning
                      Next logical step is a stylus that plays underwater.
                      The Downstairs Lounge
                      http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                        Next logical step is a stylus that plays underwater.

Comment

Problem solved!

Cheers for all the replies gents. I'm glad its not my slap dash cleaning technique that is to blame (in this case anyway)
                          it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                          take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Working...
                          X