How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

Many listeners cannot hear the difference between uncompressed audio files and MP3s, but when it comes to audio quality, the size of the file isn't (ahem) everything. There are plenty of other ingredients to consider, from the quality of your headphones to the size of the room you're sitting in to, well, your own ears.

Can you hear the difference?
    Take this quiz to find out.

Interesting - I listened to it on my trust Sennheiser HD650s and got 2 out of 6! Pretty poor, really. Oddly, the Jay-Z was the one that seemed most obvious to me. Perhaps because I'm more used to listening to hip-hop records? I don't know. The other one I got right was Katy Perry which pretty much blows my first theory out of the water completely!

Need new ears, obviously
    http://petesasqwax.co.uk

Interesting. Easier than I thought. 4/6 on the WAVs. Suzanne Vega and Neil Young foxing me.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

We have tone generators at work.

In my 40s, my hearing loses it at 14K.

Down by about a third from its starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by sasQwax View Post
        Take this quiz to find out.

Interesting - I listened to it on my trust Sennheiser HD650s and got 2 out of 6! Pretty poor, really. Oddly, the Jay-Z was the one that seemed most obvious to me. Perhaps because I'm more used to listening to hip-hop records? I don't know. The other one I got right was Katy Perry which pretty much blows my first theory out of the water completely!

Need new ears, obviously
        You're asking me to listen to Coldplay? Perhaps I should cut my ears off first...

Comment

ha - I'm not, NPR are!

I have to admit, I did that one the quickest and didn't care I got it wrong
          http://petesasqwax.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
            Interesting. Easier than I thought. 4/6 on the WAVs. Suzanne Vega and Neil Young foxing me.
            Exactly the same for me.... but the last 4 are a better test I think.
            "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Is anyone else in pitch and mine's club?? We have a membership test and soon we will have a name, membership card and secret knock.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                Is anyone else in pitch and mine's club?? We have a membership test and soon we will have a name, membership card and secret knock.
                it won't have to be a secret if only you can hear it.

Comment

5/6 (listening with Beyer Dynamic headphones on my laptop)

Got JayZ wrong - first time I've consciously heard one of his tunes

North of the River Cole

Comment

1/6. I got Katy Perry right
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

i got 320kps on all of them
                      Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Two out of six - Neil Young and Katy Perry....reckon I might have done a bit better if I'd actually answered the question asked (which one is the uncompressed WAV?) rather than my own (which one do you prefer?) - evidently I like a bit of compression (although analogue is best) - my school exams followed a similar course....
                        you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

4 / 6 on a crappy laptop and standard issue SkullCandy headphones. Lost out on Jay Z and Sue V.

Don't know if there's any relevance, I struggle to hear our (apparently) whiny dvd player or grasshoppers and crickets out the garden in the summer. So I might have just been lucky 4 times!

Comment

Thru laptop speakers: 1/6

I'll try the Skullcandy headphones that'll make it better: 0/6

The old B&W DM3s via a Behringer / USB: 2/6

My old ears are shot I think. Struggled to tell the difference but generally seemed to plump for 320kbps.

Listening to Coldplay nine times was even more of a struggle - and there's a lot of sibilance on that clip isn't there?

This has probably saved me some money - was thinking of taking up the special offer to upgrade to Deezer's HQ output thru Sonos. Won't bother now.

Comment

I liked the Coldplay best
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X