Buying 45s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying 45s

Is it just me or do others find a lot of older 45s they buy get really distorted on louder passages of the music. It's a lot of 60's early 70's stuff that i have this problem with. Doesnt matter if the disc looks mint and hasnt got a mark on it. Not sure if its because its been played on bad equipment? I've just had 2 45s from this week like this that i paid not a fortune for but a fair bit. Nothing worse then when you get something you've been after for ages and it has this horrible distortion. Then i end up in two minds about should i send it back and if i do will i be able to track down another copy...maybe i'm just fussy i don't know. Sick to death of stressing about records though, be it chasing after them or just problems when you get them!

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
    Is it just me or do others find a lot of older 45s they buy get really distorted on louder passages of the music. It's a lot of 60's early 70's stuff that i have this problem with. Doesnt matter if the disc looks mint and hasnt got a mark on it. Not sure if its because its been played on bad equipment? I've just had 2 45s from this week like this that i paid not a fortune for but a fair bit. Nothing worse then when you get something you've been after for ages and it has this horrible distortion. Then i end up in two minds about should i send it back and if i do will i be able to track down another copy...maybe i'm just fussy i don't know. Sick to death of stressing about records though, be it chasing after them or just problems when you get them!
    Is it because they're styrene perhaps?
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Without hearing the 45 in question it's hard to say.

Some possibilities:

Bad mastering (distortion in master)

Bad vinyl pressing (e.g. over-used stampers)

Worn styrene (often goes grey/silver with plays, so you can tell visually)

Been played with too heavy or stiff a tone arm (e.g. jukebox, some portables, etc) or damaged/worn needle

Many record companies didn't really care about sound quality for many pop releases, and it often shows.

Comment

If they're US singles, it's less surprising. If they're european pressings on major labels, they really shouldn't be distorted.
        These are generalisations, of course.
        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

I buy mainly UK 45s and found plenty with this problem : the disc looks great but plays distorted on the louder sections. (A giveaway is that, if there's a fade at the end, you can hear the distortion drop away.) I always assume it's because they've been unloved in a previous life, maybe played out on heavy needles...

Comment

I've bought 4 copies of Hush by Billy Joe Royal on CBS, and they all have distortion! Daren't buy another. Anyone else?
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
              I've bought 4 copies of Hush by Billy Joe Royal on CBS, and they all have distortion! Daren't buy another. Anyone else?
              Mush.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
              X