Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drokk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drokk

    I missed this when I came out so apologies if it's old news... but the other day looking through record shops I saw a record called Rokk by Geoff Barrow out of Portishead and some other guy (apologies to whoever it is) inspired by Megacity One. Now it was in the incredibly expensive shop in Greenwich (Kasbar Records perhaps?) so I didn't spring for it... but I was interested enough to check it out on the internet when I got home.
    First track I listened to was an absolutely shameless steal of John Carpenter's sound



    Second track I listened to was an, if anything, more shameless rip-off of Can.



    Now I like to think that I prize originality, but obviously I don't cos I ordered that record the minute I heard those samples, I think it's ace. Also, although there are many things which are compared to John Carpenter and which have a similar aesthetic (Moroder, Goblin, Vangelis and loads of other pretenders) I don't that there is much that I can think of that actually does sound like him. Being as how most of this record that I've heard is the first thing that actually sounds like his best stuff I'm waiting excitedly for its delivery.

  • #2
    if you really really like it you can show by buying the mega box set.

    All the Wolpertingers

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
      if you really really like it you can show by buying the mega box set.

      Is that "grey" vinyl or records pressed from steel...

      Comment


      • #4
        Metal Box set more like. To be honest, I've never bought any of those massive super set things and I don't think I'll start here.

        Comment


        • #5
          I like this album, and wish it had been the actual soundtrack to 'Dredd'. It also reminds me of the Human League 'Dignity of Labour' EP. In isolation, however, the question I always arrive at is 'okay, so you sound like John Carpenter: now what?'.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
            I like this album, and wish it had been the actual soundtrack to 'Dredd'. It also reminds me of the Human League 'Dignity of Labour' EP. In isolation, however, the question I always arrive at is 'okay, so you sound like John Carpenter: now what?'.
            I think it was going to be the original sound track to the film, but got shelved by the film company.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, that would make sense
              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

              Comment


              • #8
                In isolation, however, the question I always arrive at is 'okay, so you sound like John Carpenter: now what?'.
                Well, I agree, and disagree. I guess, if I hear another band that sounds like the Beatles I yawn, however well they do it. But if I hear a band that sounds like John Carpenter and does it well, I get excited - the reason must be; I can't think of one single band that has ripped JC off and done it well. Of the top of my head I literally can't think of one thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Zombie Zombie?
                  All the Wolpertingers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do they actually sound like him though? There are lots of bands influenced by his stuff but I don't think there are many that actually sound like him. It's obviously better to be influenced by someone but actually do something different so I'm not exactly complaining.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                      Well, I agree, and disagree. I guess, if I hear another band that sounds like the Beatles I yawn, however well they do it. But if I hear a band that sounds like John Carpenter and does it well, I get excited - the reason must be; I can't think of one single band that has ripped JC off and done it well. Of the top of my head I literally can't think of one thing.
                      Being unique in your rip off is a very 21st century sort of plaudit. It reminds me of the recent news story where a designer was outraged that Google had apparently appropriated the design format he himself had 'borrowed' from Swiss Style. His was a homage, their version was a rip off.
                      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Brilliant!
                        The other thing of course is that I'm much more lenient if I like the music.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Do you have a link to that story by the way I'd like to read it?

                          Comment


                          • #14


                            I think Zombie Zombie have figured out the "now what" part of soundling like John Carpenter pretty well. Great live band anyway.
                            All the Wolpertingers

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                              Do you have a link to that story by the way I'd like to read it?
                              It was Yahoo. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...raphic-artist-
                              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X