Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables

I have my amp running directly into the line-in on my pc sound card, as I'm sure many of us do.

I've always used a dirt cheap cable and the sound seems fine, perhaps the odd very occasional bit of digital noise between tracks if you crank the volume up. Most of my listening these days seems to be digital transfers in the car and I've always wondered if they would sound better with a better cable.

Would splashing out a bit extra on something like this make any difference to sound quality? Or will I barely notice any difference?
    http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
    www.the-onyx.co.uk
    www.kernowbeat.co.uk

The cheapest shittiest cable can be pretty shitty in my experience (as much with AV as audio). But don't neccesarily need to go to high end to get a big improvement.

I recently bought a blu ray player and didn't by the hdmi from the pound shop but got a decent Belkin one for maybe a tenner. Seems silly to skimp too much. Chains only as strong as the weakest link etc.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

HDMI cable quality baffles me a bit, I understand how analogue electronic cable would have less interference, the better quality cable, but with digital, isn't it either a case of it works or it doesn't - you can't have half-working digital, or can you?

Thanks in advance, science guys.
      MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by ashra View Post
        HDMI cable quality baffles me a bit, I understand how analogue electronic cable would have less interference, the better quality cable, but with digital, isn't it either a case of it works or it doesn't - you can't have half-working digital, or can you?

Thanks in advance, science guys.
        I swear by these - good enough for the LHC, good enough for me...

Comment

Thanks. Your right I prob should invest in something a bit better!
          http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
          www.the-onyx.co.uk
          www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

Unless you have really top notch super hi-fi gear, then once you're spending more than bargain basement on a cable, you're probably doing fine. A lot of the stuff about special-plated contacts etc is only really relevant if you keep plugging and unplugging the connections.
            So upgrade from your Poundland string by all means but don't break the bank!

Comment

A lot of the 'gold' cables are actually of inferior quality, don't be fooled by the bling look. The connectors usually just have a gold coloured layer on, which makes contact worse!

The chinese stuff you find in pound shops will do the job but they usually skimp on screening/shielding (often leading to RF interference and hum). Same is likely true of leads supplied with equipment, though I've found some of those to be quite good. It is pot luck. Generally the thicker the cable the better.

As has been said, you don't need to spend a fortune. Belkin kit is fairly robust and not expensive.
              "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Working...
              X