Not keeping the Sabbath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not keeping the Sabbath

I have an Oz pressing of Masters of Reality. My aim is to show it the door not long from now. Swirl label. 6360050. No ‘box’. No poster. Sleeve would be ex to ex+ (a bit of ring wear and a minor scuff on the bottom). Not so sure about the vinyl - one side has a longish scratch. The scratch doesn’t look deep, but I have yet to listen to it.

Ferreting around on the web last night I couldn’t find much on the Oz pressing. As far as I could see, the Sabbath site I came across lists plenty, but not this. Someone has a copy on ebay - no swirl. Possibly also slightly different sleeve?

Web discussions suggest that early UK pressings give top sound (drums!). So, it would be good if I could yoke this to that ‘brand’. I’ve previously been surprised that people have been sniffy about oz pressings. What is that about?

Please can anyone throw any light on this? I would like to maximise my return (almost certainly cash, I am afraid).

Thanks

Not to be rude mate but is it worth anything at all, its scratched
    and swirl collectors who spend real money want uk presses wether the sound is better or not

Not unlike OG but for the minor details that will bother you persistently and prevent you from ever fully enjoying the LP

Comment

This one then?

http://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbath...elease/2867488

So for a VG copy you might get a tenner.

Comment

Clang!

How did I miss that? I did look in Discogs, honest gov'nor.

Ta

Comment

I think you could get a lot more than a tenner. Only three copies sold over the last four years. Looks rare. Auction it on eBay, you'll get more.
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Speaking from the point of view of a dealer in Australia, I can tell you I have had about 15-20 copies of this through my hands. They would sell here in M- condition for about AU$40.00 and with poster (yes, it came with a poster) for about $100.00.

Comment

I'm always surprised the Aussie Never Say Die doesn't sell for more, as it was the only gatefold edition issued.
              There's also an Aussie only Horslips gatefold. Probably others too.

I don't avoid downunder pressings but I think its probably fair to say the sleeves tend to be less sturdy than US or european pressings. And may be single sleeves instead of gatefolds. Also the discs are usually in poly inners which are a bugger to get back into the sleeve, leading on occasion to impatient mangling of same. Even more trying are some of the early NZ gatefold sleeves where the printers appear to have had the concept of the gatefold sleeve just explained to them and made a ham fisted attempt to re-create it.
              Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                I don't avoid downunder pressings but I think its probably fair to say the sleeves tend to be less sturdy than US or european pressings. And may be single sleeves instead of gatefolds. Also the discs are usually in poly inners which are a bugger to get back into the sleeve, leading on occasion to impatient mangling of same.
                You seem to be alluding to how much you dislike Aussie pressings. No need for that. Just come out and say it - if that is how you feel. Won't bother me at all. Sleeves are on thinner cardboard and the 70's and 80's pressings are on thin flexible vinyl and are a disgrace and should be a pressing of last resort. Among seasoned collectors here, they are often badmouthed and laughed at about how shit they are. I try to upgrade to UK, US or Euro pressings of the titles I have in my collection.
                NZ pressings have sleeves that seem to have artwork that is more vivid in it;s colouring/saturation. Other than that, they are a tad better than Oz ones, IMO.

Comment

By way of background…

Normally I am a bit more sanguine about these things. But this was a gift a while back, along with some others. I suspect that there was a touch of reluctance. There was never any doubt that I might move some on. But there was the vague suggestion that they shouldn’t be wasted – sort of a permutation on ‘going to a good home’ I suppose. I feel as though I have to make some sort of gesture in that direction. And as it happens, I also have my eye on a particular record and want to help justify the purchase by divesting. So, slightly mixed motives.

As to the scratch, it is there, for sure. But I had to look under a strong light to see it.

I just listened (I knew there would be a downside to this process). It is inaudible wearing phones during “Into the void”. If I didn’t know it was there I would say that it was inaudible during the quieter track before that. But there were occasional clicks and I thought that I could discern some regularity there.

All good so far, thanks. JB’s insights on the local market and the local product being particularly on point.

I’m now used to the poly inners.

Comment

Why don't you just steam off the label and frame it. It would make a nice gift for an elderly relative.
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Great idea. I would do that for myself. Never mind the relatives.

Comment

In fact that is a fantastic idea. I could do a whole series. Like you see with stamps and playing cards.

Comment

I have some free time coming up. I'll have a crack at it and post up the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
                            Great idea. I would do that for myself. Never mind the relatives.
                            I doubt very much that you can steam them off. The Aust and UK ones I have seen seem to be such that the labels were larger in diameter to start with and then the edges of them were incorporated into the actual disc i.e. looks like the edge is underneath the outgroove. You can't get your fingernail or even a knife under it to lift it so how can you steam it off? This makes sense to make it like that if it is going to be sliding in and out of an innersleeve.

Comment

Yeah but please don;t do it to the Nepentha label ones. There are none that are not rare or desirable and also not to the RCA Neon labels, unless it is The Who or Soft Machine. You will take one more copy out of circulation where not many ever existed.

Comment

Working...
                              X