Tune For Towny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune For Towny

Its five years to the day that Neil passed away, so I thought I'd start a thread to celebrate his life by posting up records that he loved, introduced people to or even songs you've found since he died that you thought 'Towny would have loved this'.

So come on all, post up a Tune For Towny!

Here's my starter, a classic crossover track that he often played when DJing:
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

I only talked to him via PM a few times but we both shared our love of this tune:

He'd managed to secure a cheapish knackered copy just like mine, and shared a few tips of getting f*cked records to play. RIP.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Love the sentiment.

When I told him owned a very battered but well loved copy of this:

He asked for my address and sent me a near mint copy

I'd only met the bloke once and we'd exchanged several PMs but I was completely blown over by his kindness.
      Last edited by Brass Monkey; 19-06-2015, 10:00 AM.
      I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

His genuine enthusiasm was a joy to behold. I remember introducing him to that Daddy Lindberg track and the raw emotion and sparkle in his eyes was unforgettable. Needless to say he sourced his own copy within days.

Gone before the first Spoke release was born, Neil is still very much part of the team. Rule #1 when considering potential releases: would Towny love this?

This track is Towny all over:

new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Never knew the guy except through here but remember this day... can't believe it's five years. Nice tribute, wish I knew enough to add something.

Comment

Was only talking about him an hour ago, Jo and I miss him terribly. I'm DJ'ing tomorrow night and have a couple of tunes in the play box to remember him by:-

Magic Towny Moment - Gibby's wedding, 4:00am in the kitchen - "yeah, cracking tune but IT DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE!" (this is Jo's favourite Neil quote)

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
              His genuine enthusiasm was a joy to behold. I remember introducing him to that Daddy Lindberg track and the raw emotion and sparkle in his eyes was unforgettable. Needless to say he sourced his own copy within days.
              Ain't that Neil in a nutshell right there.
              If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I remember him actually running up to the decks and saying 'what the fook is that??!!' when I played this at the Tanners. It was a rare event as it was usually me running up to him. Obviously by the next time I was down for the night he'd found a copy. The boy had taste and was the best digger I've ever had the pleasure to know.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

i think this was the last in a very long list of towny tracks that hit me hard!
                  even though i never had the chance to meet him personally, he is still very missed over here.
                  it's crazy how many tracks in my head are connected to neil and how often he comes up when i listen to records at home.

Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                    Never knew the guy except through here but remember this day... can't believe it's five years. Nice tribute, wish I knew enough to add something.
                    You can if you want

This thread shouldn't exclude anyone who didn't know Neil personally. If there is a song you think he would've liked (and lets face it he had broad tastes) chuck it up! Conversely no-one should feel duty bound to post anything just for the sake of it
                    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                      Never knew the guy except through here but remember this day... can't believe it's five years.
                      Same here.

Towny's postings showed he had excellent taste in music and was funny with it too.

Comment

Like Sie, was only just thinking about Towny as we've just passed through Otley on way to the Lakes. I remember asking Neil if there were any places to look for vinyl on my way up to the Lakes and he had no hesitation in sharing, at length, the various spots to call in on. He wasn't cagey about it, not precious about the info, wished me good luck and to let him know if I found owt good.

And he was ace to trade with as well.

Didn't know the lad well enough or long enough to nominate what a Towny tune would be, but I'm happy to dedicate all good music to his memory.
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I always associate Towny with this and similar quality grooves, because he loved them to bits.
                          I only met him briefly once, but its a vivid memory. He was clutching a copy of Pop Workshop Vol 1 and energy and good humour was crackling off the guy.
                          The Tinsel Towny CDs I´ve got are amazing, and his comment on this thread gave me one of the biggest belly laughs I´ve had on this board.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

towny was one of the few people who really knew about boogie when i was just getting into it at a time when 80s funk and boogie was very looked down upon - but then again it seemed like he knew about everything! though sadly i never got to meet him personally he was always happy to send through recommendations via PM on here and hipped me to many great records, and of course his swap CDs are rightly held in high esteem. he was a very important part of the community here, always sharing.

some quality 2 step for towny
                            http://www.blaxploitation.com
                            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I never met the man, I wish I had. As I was walking to work this morning I was listening to this track and thinking about life and death, so this seems appropriate, especially as it is a really lovely song, full of light and kindness and spirituality, which sounds like the Towny I know from your descriptions of him. I hope we all come back as flowers.

SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X