Tubby Hayes - Long Shadow of the Little Giant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubby Hayes - Long Shadow of the Little Giant

I know very little about jazz, I know even less about British jazz. But yesterday I met up with my parents and they gave me a book called The Long Shadow of the Little Giant which is about Tubby Hayes. The reason being, my uncle is a big jazz fan and he knew the guy who wrote the book and in fact he (my uncle) donated some photos he took from seeing Hayes live in the fifties (I think) to the book's author and as a result he gets an acknowledgement.
    I started reading the book on the way back from town and it looks as though it will (at the least) provide a good introduction to the guy. I just wondered, what do people think of the book and, if I am going to read it (and it is an "if") I might as well check out his music. I'm probably not gonna be spending loads of money here (unless I have a revelation and get right into him) but please give me some tips of cheapies to pick up or even things I can listen to on youtube to get a flavour. Think there was a Trunk release or something that everyone got excited about but beyond that I know nothing at all at the moment.

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
    I know very little about jazz, I know even less about British jazz. But yesterday I met up with my parents and they gave me a book called The Long Shadow of the Little Giant which is about Tubby Hayes. The reason being, my uncle is a big jazz fan and he knew the guy who wrote the book and in fact he (my uncle) donated some photos he took from seeing Hayes live in the fifties (I think) to the book's author and as a result he gets an acknowledgement.
    I started reading the book on the way back from town and it looks as though it will (at the least) provide a good introduction to the guy. I just wondered, what do people think of the book and, if I am going to read it (and it is an "if") I might as well check out his music. I'm probably not gonna be spending loads of money here (unless I have a revelation and get right into him) but please give me some tips of cheapies to pick up or even things I can listen to on youtube to get a flavour. Think there was a Trunk release or something that everyone got excited about but beyond that I know nothing at all at the moment.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...ht=tubby+hayes

Comment

Working...
    X