PC Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Music

Exactly what the title says, music played by pc components. Feel free to add any other kind of music made with unconventional instruments.

¡A tope con la vida!

sometime denizen of this glorious parish, periodic astronaut suit wearer to the stars and a missed presence round here, Mr Hopkinson and his computer made a bit of a career out of this...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj0...kZrkmvTy290Azg

here they are doing the Pixies' "where is my mind"

they did a splendid rendering of the stone roses "fools gold".

and of course, being VG+, we have to promote the vinyl... there's a 10" thing that had these on it....

Comment

Great idea for a thread and good and remarkable songs posted here.

Ron Hubbard is the man for 80s chiptune. This is my favourite, Monty on the Run Highscore theme... so soulful and beautiful!

The plot of the game, from Wiki is

On the run from the authorities after his intervention in the Miners' strike, Monty the mole must escape from his house and head for the English Channel and freedom in Europe. In traditional platform game fashion, along the way he needs to collect various objects and solve puzzles to complete his escape. Before the game, five objects must be chosen to form Monty's Freedom Kit. Choosing the wrong items will leave the player unable to pass certain screens. This also acted as an anti-piracy measure, since the objects were only given numbers onscreen meaning the player had to refer to the accompanying manual. The final screen sees Monty boarding a ferry to France. This was then the starting point for the follow-up Auf Wiedersehen Monty.
      THEY DON'T MAKE EM LIKE THIS ANYMORE!!
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post
        The comments are worth a look, e.g.:

"Dr. Flop.
        From Russia with drive
        Golddrive
        Floppyball
        You only flop twice
        On her modems secret service"

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
          sometime denizen of this glorious parish, periodic astronaut suit wearer to the stars and a missed presence round here, Mr Hopkinson and his computer made a bit of a career out of this...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj0...kZrkmvTy290Azg

here they are doing the Pixies' "where is my mind"

they did a splendid rendering of the stone roses "fools gold".

and of course, being VG+, we have to promote the vinyl... there's a 10" thing that had these on it....
          ....this still gets played at the Mud - great record.
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Compressorhead Vs Z Machine. Germany vs Japan. Different approachs to music hand played by robots.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

kid at my artschool had the hardware of a couple of busted PCs do coverversions of Kraftwerk and Pete Frampton. Not in the mood to go down memorylane on youtube but I'll report back.
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I remember an album from few years ago where someone had recorded a bunch of dot matrix printers in some kind of underground cavern. I couldn't find that so this will have to do:

On a side note when I read the thread title I thought it was about these peeps:

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                  kid at my artschool had the hardware of a couple of busted PCs do coverversions of Kraftwerk
                  How I wish we did this at school in my day.

Comment

how could I forget Rolf Liebermann's "Symphonie Les Echanges (Version für 156 Büromaschinen)"

aka Typewriter Jazz...

and the core inspiration for Carl Craig/ Innerzone Orchestra's "Bugs in the Bassbin"...

Comment

Great examples so far and so varied in their approach to music playing.

This makes me wonder, what was the first mechanical device that played music on its own?

Probably were other constructions before the pianola.

Last edited by Carlitos; 24-06-2015, 11:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
                      ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Great examples so far and so varied in their approach to music playing.

This makes me wonder, what was the first mechanical device that played music on its own?

Probably were other constructions before the pianola.

There's loads of mechanical players. Musical clocks and music boxes are early examples, they date back to mediaeval times.

I think the first computery music album is Music From Mathematics from the early 60s:

Among other delights, it has the original computer rendition of 'Daisy Bell' which Kubrick refers to in 2001:

Comment

not sure how mechanical they are, but windchimes and aeolian harps have been around for millenia.

Chillida also wanted the Wind Combs in San Sebastian to make music, according to this article.

http://www.mascontext.com/issues/8-p...ne-del-viento/

The bamboo thing in Kill Bill is definitely mechanical, but I´m not sure it´s intended to be musical as it´s called a "deer scarer".

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

That must be what inspired the Baschet Brothers to make their musical fountain.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

fits the bill. From Darkstar's 1st LP.
                              I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Working...
                              X