Customs duty On lps/45s from the us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customs duty On lps/45s from the us

Does anyone know what the minimum amount is before you have to start paying customs duty on stuff from the states to the uk. Just bought a 10 dollar record, am I right in thinking or rather hoping no customs duty is paid on that? does the postage come into it when paying these fees or just the price of the goods? Used to buy a lot of stuff from the states some real bargains even with the hefty postage. let some great stuff go the past few weeks though as these fees are scaring me off! Is this a new thing as I haven't paid any customs duty in all the years I've been buying records from the states.

£18. Ask the seller to mark the customs declaration appropriately

Comment

I think it's £15. This is from the royal mail. It's that 'handling charge which is the killer' You pay that if you're £1 over or £1000 over so spend a lot if you're going to spend more than £15.

"If you are receiving a parcel from a country outside the EU it may incur Customs charges. Any parcel assessed as being liable for Customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8. Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 are liable to import VAT."
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

£17.99
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Used to be £18 but as Shere Khan indicates its now £15.

Obviously in these times of austerity the Tory government find it easier to bring in taxes via 40 year old vinyl rather than trying to ensure big companies pay the correct amount of tax.
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I sound a bit thick but is the 15 pound limit including the shipping costs as well or just the actual price of the goods your buying?
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
              Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I sound a bit thick but is the 15 pound limit including the shipping costs as well or just the actual price of the goods your buying?
              Cheers
              total value of the package, so it could but shouldn't be interpreted as inc shipping costs. many sellers (esp if they're regulars/ pros/ semi-pros) will mark packages "appropriately", and most will oblige when asked...

Comment

Also price and value are subtly different. Some sellers are kind enough to put a lower value than the price which is nice! for instance even big record sellers like Dusty Groove will put a different value for each item then the price which is nice and not quite illegal.

Of course some are even nicer and will put a nominal value of something like 5USD and mark it as a gift, just to be sure, it is always worth asking.

Ebay now has it's Global Shipping program which forces you to pay customs, but it is upfront and I think cheaper than it get it getting caught in the system
                My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
                  for instance even big record sellers like Dusty Groove will put a different value for each item then the price which is nice and not quite illegal.
                  Now the last time I ordered from Dusty Groove they told me they no longer did this- this was about a year ago.
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                    Now the last time I ordered from Dusty Groove they told me they no longer did this- this was about a year ago.
                    yep dusty stopped doing that long time ago which ended me buying from them anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                      That's a shame, I must admit I have not bought of them for a few years. When US shipping was cheap and a pound got you 2 dollars it was often the cheapest place for reissues and comps even with shipping
                      My Mixcloud

Comment

Just bought my first lp from the US where the seller is using the global shipping program , was $35.99

Postage: US $16.81 (approx. £11.10) International Priority Shipping to United Kingdom
                        Import charges: US $0.00 (amount confirmed at checkout)

So no import charges , strange, good but thats not right surely ?

Comment

what really f&%+$ me off is not the extra charge for goods from outside europe. it's the £8 handling charge by the post office for working out how much extra i need to pay them.

last time this happened it was a £4 duty and an £8 handling fee.
                          "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

Comment

And I've just realised that , although its universally hated, my payment was sent as two , one for the record and a separate one for the postage so the seller is better off as he doesn't have to pay the 10% ebay fees and the 5% paypal fees on the postage

I always get annoyed that I get less money in the end if I sell an album overseas than if it sells to the uk
                            Obviously I'm only taking about ebay

Comment

I just asked a seller to opt out of the GSP, and he claims he bypasses it by invoicing directly from PayPal. Says he's done it many times without a problem.
                              https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Working...
                              X