Royal Mail 'Actual Loss'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Mail 'Actual Loss'

Just for information really- in case you weren't aware of this and are as unbelievably naïve as I obviously am!

I just bought a record through the post. Just a 7", not expensive. It didn't arrive. Told seller. He didn't quibble but complained about Royal mail only wanting to give him £3.60 for missing packages. What's that all about I asked him. Surely you just print out the discogs invoice and that's proof of how much you sold it for. Oh no, he says. You have to have a receipt showing what you paid for the record. If you can't prove what you paid for it you just get 6 first class stamps. Even worse he pointed out that if you bought a record for £12 and sold it later for £50 Royal Mail would only ever pay you the 'Actual Loss' ie. £12- as long as you have the receipt, of course. I had no idea. This also begs the question why would you bother paying any kind of insurance for the value of a record, say £30, if they're only going to give you the £3.50 it cost you back in 1975- as long as you've got the receipt. I looked it up on the Royal Mail site and it seems he's right.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

so this is worthless for the post office?
    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

The Post Office have no truck with the grip and flip. They do not dig.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

so this is worthless for the post office?
        I don't know. The chap I bought from has had several bits go missing lately and he said unless you could show what you'd paid for the item you'd only get £3.60 in stamps and that this is what had happened to him. He was going to get someone to give him a receipt for £5 so he could claim on this record (it was new). Reza posted here saying he hasn't had that problem but that post has gone. They are probably both right but I did have a quick look and they do have this thing called 'Actual Loss' and this seller had fallen foul of it a few times lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
          I don't know. The chap I bought from has had several bits go missing lately and he said unless you could show what you'd paid for the item you'd only get £3.60 in stamps and that this is what had happened to him. He was going to get someone to give him a receipt for £5 so he could claim on this record (it was new). Reza posted here saying he hasn't had that problem but that post has gone. They are probably both right but I did have a quick look and they do have this thing called 'Actual Loss' and this seller had fallen foul of it a few times lately.
          I have done a couple of 'lost' claims in the last year, got back the full value by submitting a print out of the Discogs invoice with the paperwork. Guessing your man ain't filling the forms out with the right level of verve and panache.

Comment

Yes sorry , I said I got that 6 first class stamps fob you off thing on a lost tracked item, I got straight on the phone and got an apology and a cheque in the post within couple of days, you've just got to chase them

Comment

Well I've clearly been lucky because up to now I haven't lost anything I've posted- I hope this is not one of those, "England are all over the Australians, they can do no wrong", moments, which is generally followed by an England batting collapse- and I did say to him surely a print out of the paypal receipt should suffice, but he said it hadn't worked for him yet. Equally looking it up I found other people saying the same as him but, should it happen to me, I shall just be terrier-like in my pursuit of reimbursement with the words of the VG+ massive ringing in my ears, and pushing me on.

Comment

Working...
              X