Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors

So I heard this rumor of a man walking around recordfairs reclaiming "library" records for the distributing company or the network or whatever. Probably proper bullshit but still a funny idea.

Any other record related gossip you care to share? I'll get the tea.
    All the Wolpertingers

good idea, I might try it.

I heard Robert Plant used to confiscate Led Zep bootlegs? not sure how true that is
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
      good idea, I might try it.

I heard Robert Plant used to confiscate Led Zep bootlegs? not sure how true that is
      there used to be a great video online of neil young doing this in a record store in 1971!
      Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Maybe back in the day, but now Robert Plant collects them I thought?

Comment

Was the legal situation with libraries ever clarified?
          I remember a thread on here which said they remained the property of the company, which would technically prohibit resale.
          I reckon the rumour's just a result of people musing on that situation. Hard to imagine a company sending staff to record fairs, and hard to imagine a chancer pulling that scam off, too.
          Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
            I remember a thread on here which said they remained the property of the company, which would technically prohibit resale.
            I reckon the rumour's just a result of people musing on that situation. Hard to imagine a company sending staff to record fairs, and hard to imagine a chancer pulling that scam off, too.
            this might be a rumour or i actually witnessed it... who knows... but i seem to recall a recordstore keeping his libraries hidden away because of that reason.

Comment

The vast majority of promos - and that includes library discs - are sent out unsolicited... & there's been several court cases where it's been ruled that recipients can dispose of these gifts as they see fit.
              galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

i've heard a certain vg+ member spent 2 days in custody because of certain libraries he owned.

Comment

Technically, you shouldn't sell any records on. Read the text around the label edge. All secondhand record dealers are breaking the law.
                  new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post
                    The vast majority of promos - and that includes library discs - are sent out unsolicited... & there's been several court cases where it's been ruled that recipients can dispose of these gifts as they see fit.
                    Got any examples of these cases?

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
                      Read the text around the label edge. All secondhand record dealers are breaking the law.
                      'A Porky Prime Cut'?
                      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

I don't belive that is the case .
                        'First Sale Doctrine' is what is known as a 'traditional safety valve' and it limits the rights of copyright holders ... vis "First-sale doctrine – Allows owners of copies of a copyrighted work to distribute them as they see fit. After the first sale of a product, the copyright holder cannot control distribution of that specific instance of the product. However the purchaser cannot reproduce the material, only distribute authentic copies. For example, if you buy a CD, you then have the right to sell it, but you do not have the right to sell copies of it. Patents have the analogous exhaustion doctrine as well".
                        Promos are judged to fall under first sale doctrine.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                          The main UK libraries don't bother any more. They used to but now appreciate the interest fuels demand for their own contemporary reissues/compilations. A couple of major library companies follow me on Instagram and often comment enthusiastically on their own products I own.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
                            Got any examples of these cases?
                            UMG Recordings, Inc. v. Augusto

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post
                              I don't belive that is the case .
                              'First Sale Doctrine' is what is known as a 'traditional safety valve' and it limits the rights of copyright holders ... vis "First-sale doctrine – Allows owners of copies of a copyrighted work to distribute them as they see fit. After the first sale of a product, the copyright holder cannot control distribution of that specific instance of the product. However the purchaser cannot reproduce the material, only distribute authentic copies. For example, if you buy a CD, you then have the right to sell it, but you do not have the right to sell copies of it. Patents have the analogous exhaustion doctrine as well".
                              Promos are judged to fall under first sale doctrine.
                              Where does this come from?

Comment

Working...
                              X