The first people you knew who made records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first people you knew who made records

Inspired by local Hastings anarcho-punk legends / bell-ends Carnage, four lads in my year at school dubbed themselves Devastation and somehow managed to record and put out an EP in about 1984, at which point I was maybe 15.

They were the first people I knew who'd ever got it together to release a record, and served as a peculiar inspiration in this respect.

They sold perhaps half of them and I have strong memories of the rest being used as attack frisbees, melted down and used as ashtrays and even - in one instance - used as a flower pot by Craig Coleman's mum.

Sadly, no YouTube clips, though I can still replay the song in my head!
    One went for thirty quid on the 'Bay the other year.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Our neighbor, also colleague of my dad, was in this band. He taught me the two chords needed to play this song.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Friends of mine at university formed a band called Fatal Albion - influenced I think by The Fall
      Pressed a handful of 45s with the intention of selling them at gigs but I'm fairly sure they gave most of them away
      I DJd at their lead singer Duncan's wedding and played my copy fairly early in the evening. He went crazy on the dance floor while everyone made a circle around him. It was quite moving actually
      He and his wife now live in Thailand with their two kids
      When I get a chance I'll upload it to YouTube
      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

This page has some issues... And so does my ability crop the screen grab, sorry. Anyway... Scott Shields was at primary and secondary school with me, which I imagine he reminisces about all the time 😳

Comment

I was in a (dreadful) band at school 75/76 called Psycho. We played covers mainly. Badly. Did a few gigs but we were rubbish. Luckily our audiences weren't very discerning.
          One of my friends in Psycho did get it together to put out a record in the 80s though. He was in a duo called Loch Ness Monster who cut two albums for Hamster Records. He also put out a solo record as Vladimir Zajkowiecz ... he was bass player in the Chrysanthemums and The Creams... .and possibly other weirdo avant bands that have slipped my mind.

Last edited by bradx; 30-06-2015, 12:22 PM. Reason: pic
          galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Dave "Snibs" Simms was a couple of school years older than me. he was the drummer for Future Toys. This single must have sold at least a million copy's in Blaby alone.

track listings are mixed up

Comment

it was my sister.
              she played in a the cure inspired all girl wave/post punk/rock band called «the whooshings».
              they released a 45 in 1991. it still sounds great!
              i was 8 back then and of course their biggest fan. i think my sister still keeps a banddrawing i made for all of them.

Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

I was at school with 3 of this mob and I knew the singer as friendly competition at local jumble sales for 60s pop 45s, having recognised him as the winner of one of those Mike UKIP Read-fronted pop trivia shows. Still see him now as he lives near me (and possibly contributes to this board. Hello Brian if so!).

Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

I went to school with Robbi Laskar (the Priciple) who was the producer in Caveman

He converted to Islam a couple of decades ago and burnt all his records.
                  Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

I used to know this lot. They once played with Pinski Zoo and Andy had a memorable skronk showdown with Jan Kopinski. Never bought the record probably because I was expecting someone to give it to me.

and the Lighthouse Family still owe me a drink.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
                      I was at school with 3 of this mob and I knew the singer as friendly competition at local jumble sales for 60s pop 45s, having recognised him as the winner of one of those Mike UKIP Read-fronted pop trivia shows. Still see him now as he lives near me (and possibly contributes to this board. Hello Brian if so!).

One of the few 79 Revival 45s I kept! Saw them at a Cambridge reunion a couple of years ago.

Staying on theme, my older mates were in this dodgy mod band http://www.45cat.com/record/phz6

EDIT- and Master Hauntologist Jon Brooks was in the year above me at school (same house too) though I didn't know him then (or now).
                      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by jahshabby View Post
                        I went to school with Robbi Laskar (the Priciple) who was the producer in Caveman

He converted to Islam a couple of decades ago and burnt all his records.
                        It's awesome that you knew someone from Caveman. Love the first album.

Why is it that people who find God must reject music? Shawn J Period who produced Mos Def in the 90s became Christian and found out that sampling is a sin.

Comment

My old buddy Mick Crosley aka The Flyte Reaction, named after The Calico Wall 45. You can tell by the lp sleeve (done by yours truly) where our heads were at

I still keep in touch. Last I heard he was working with Paul Rowland on some new stuff.
                          Everyone tear down your own little wall
                          That keeps you from being a part of it all
                          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep View Post
                            it was my sister.
                            she played in a the cure inspired all girl wave/post punk/rock band called «the whooshings».
                            they released a 45 in 1991. it still sounds great!
                            i was 8 back then and of course their biggest fan. i think my sister still keeps a banddrawing i made for all of them.

I MUST hear this, it could be missing link that explains so much about your music!
                            The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
                            Vault mint

Comment

I've got a couple of Flyte Reaction CDs. He used to be on Nick Saloman's Woronzow label.
                              https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Working...
                              X