Flamenco-funk? Acid-flamenco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flamenco-funk? Acid-flamenco?

I've just been listening to a couple of flamenco 45s that my girlfriend brought me back from Barcelona ages ago - Pepe "El Pinto" and Manolo El Malagueno if you're interested. I really enjoy them (especially Manolo with his scary, whining voice) but they got me wondering, are there any flamenco records that get beaty/funky/groovy/weird etc etc etc? Whenever I listen to them it sounds like there could have been...and stranger things have been 'fused'.

Silly question I know. Just wondering aloud really...
    Mixes, compilations and the like

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
    I've just been listening to a couple of flamenco 45s that my girlfriend brought me back from Barcelona ages ago - Pepe "El Pinto" and Manolo El Malagueno if you're interested. I really enjoy them (especially Manolo with his scary, whining voice) but they got me wondering, are there any flamenco records that get beaty/funky/groovy/weird etc etc etc? Whenever I listen to them it sounds like there could have been...and stranger things have been 'fused'.

Silly question I know. Just wondering aloud really...

I've got a prog Flamenco thing - need to dig in out though - Fandangos in Space or something - no - seriously.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Ooh, sounds nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
        Ooh, sounds nice...
        Aye - it's this one - apparantly they made 3!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:nwc8b5x4tsqj

I'll dig it out for a reappraisal
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Blimey, Tony Visconti...

Comment

Here in Spain there was an underground music scene centered around the Seville city in the late sixties-early seventies with groups like Galaxia & Smash who mixed garage & psych music with flamenco.

Check out the Smash albums, their last one "Vanguardia y pureza del flamenco", featured their famous track, "El Garrotin", mixing fuzz-wah guitars with flamenco voices & english vocals. it also features one monster long fuzzed out track with a dope percussion break and wild flamenco singing, "Ni recuerdo ni olvido", for many people their best track ever.

Another amazing track is "Behind the stars", from their second album, "We come to smash this time", featuring sitar and psych effects and a pure flamenco singer.

The first Gualberto (ex-Smash) album is also highly recommended, features "Tarantos para Jimi Hendrix", another great flamenco-prog-psych track.

Another band from the early 70s was Flamenco, they released many singles, most of them featuring heavy funky drums, Hammond, fuzz, flamenco vocals..

There's a cool comp on spanish label Wah Wah called "Electric Toxic So: Sevilla" which collects a lot of rare singles by these kind of bands, really bloody good stuff.

Comment

Ian Davies' eponymous LP for Hispavox is well worth seeking out - very much prog flamenco! Anyone know anything about him, or whether he recorded anything else?

Comment

Crikey! Will certainly seek out some of those!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                  Ian Davies' eponymous LP for Hispavox is well worth seeking out - very much prog flamenco! Anyone know anything about him, or whether he recorded anything else?
                  is that an spanish pressing??

Comment

Yes, it is. If you can find anything out, that'd be great!

Comment

One of the best ones IMHO is Sabicas "Rock Encounter" with Joe Beck. I can't recommend it enough. It was released in Polydor. I'm guessing late 60's.

Also session musician Jan Davis recorded "Flamenco Funk" and its follow up "Hot Sauce" in the early 70's. I have the second one released on Interfusion but not the first. Its not too bad but the Sabicas lp blows the Jan Davis one into a million pieces.

David S.
                      God bless Fatso.

Comment

Anybody heard "Sones Del Chicharro" by Los Chorbos. Fantastic flamenco / funk thing on Spanish CBS. I have it on a 45, but I remeber there's an lp as well.

Surely anything by Pedro Ruy-Blas and his Dolores as well..these things are just so damn hard to get hold of these days.

Comment

I've got a bit of a passion for all things Spanish and Funky and have managed to acquire a large haul of fusion and funk from that part of the world.

I'll drop a list when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by soundsville
                            Also session musician Jan Davis recorded "Flamenco Funk" and its follow up "Hot Sauce" in the early 70's. I have the second one released on Interfusion but not the first. Its not too bad but the Sabicas lp blows the Jan Davis one into a million pieces.
                            I wonder if this might be the same person as Ian Davies who did my Hispavox LP? Got any more info on Jan Davis, David?

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

(top right in the pic).

Pachuco/ST

At least 3 funky tracks on here and while having no real moments of brilliance its definitely a ‘beat heads/producers album’ with lots of interesting little breaks and beats. This did actually make an appearances on Soulmans ‘Spaced oddities’ tape.

Comment

Working...
                              X