Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazines

what do people here do with magazines?
    I guess a few people here buy them regularly?

I have subscribed to a few magazines for the past 15+ years.
    now I have moved. im not sure if I should recycle them, keep them, bin them, put them in the loft...

instagram.com/vinylhoard

In terms of weight and bulk, for me, mags are worse than records. I have got shelves of old mags .... going back to the 70s. Some are sort of treasures I suppose.
    Lots have got lost, loaned, ruined over the years tho. And good riddance!!
    Things like Mojo / Uncut and that type I just recycle. They are worse then rubbish. I used to get free Mojos and hoarded them for a while ... but to what end?
    There's nothing in there of any use to me.

Record Collector is a load of old shit too. I seem to buy it on long train journeys and then hold onto them. These get recycled too. Some times I go back through them just to make sure I'm not making a mistake... but no, it's crap.

The only mag I like to keep is The Wire (or Wire as it is now). I have them going back to the early issues and actually I'm in the middle of re-reading the whole lot right now.
    Reading The Wire as it comes out never makes a lot of sense to me - but a few years dpwn the line I like it. It's got some good stuff in there / lots I don't know about and feel I need to.

I used to have an enormous comic collection. Oh god... what a deadweight that was. I sold the whole lot in one hit and don't regret it - apart from one or two bits which I won't go into here >sob<.
    galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
      what do people here do with magazines?
      I guess a few people here buy them regularly?

I have subscribed to a few magazines for the past 15+ years.
      now I have moved. im not sure if I should recycle them, keep them, bin them, put them in the loft...

Don't do what I did with all my old Record Mirrors, Sounds, NMEs, Melody Makers, Black Echoes and leave them at your mum's - as they will all get thrown out.

Comment

I went through all my mojos, metal hammer, record collector mags and ripped out all of the relevant features / pictures. I was going to put them inside the record sleeves, so that when I play the record I would have a feature written years after the album came out to read. but I never got round to it, so they are in a folder.
        I do have every fortean times going back to summer 1998. I really want to keep these, but do I need them? I feel I should keep them.
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

The tiny tip of an enormous iceberg. Why do I have old Radio Times from 1982 (it's got David Bowie on the cover, big deal).
          An international Musician from 1977 with Zappa .... aaarrgh noooooo.
          The Zig Zags are brilliant and I keep my stash with pride. Got a load of good punk ones. One day I was walking up my street and there was a whole load of them just lying on the pavement. YOINK!!
          DJ magazine when it was called Jocks. Don't know why I keep them. Soul Undergrounds are ok though.
          That Impetus mag is good.
          In all honesty though ... this is hoarding/borderline mental illness to me. When you've kept something from 1977 it seems weird to chuck it now.

Things like weird little fanzines and strange one-offs.... they are well worth holding onto. When you going to see them again? Ebay I suppose but I don't look at ebay much.
          Ugly Things and Kicks are both good. They get very pricey for back issues. I have some around, but can't quite lay my hands on them.
          You got me thinking about my mags now. Don't mean to spam the thread
          galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

My archives are full of oddities. Like motoring magazines with tips from Dick Emery.

The Downstairs Lounge
            http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post

The tiny tip of an enormous iceberg. Why do I have old Radio Times from 1982 (it's got David Bowie on the cover, big deal).
              An international Musician from 1977 with Zappa .... aaarrgh noooooo.
              The Zig Zags are brilliant and I keep my stash with pride. Got a load of good punk ones. One day I was walking up my street and there was a whole load of them just lying on the pavement. YOINK!!
              DJ magazine when it was called Jocks. Don't know why I keep them. Soul Undergrounds are ok though.
              That Impetus mag is good.
              In all honesty though ... this is hoarding/borderline mental illness to me. When you've kept something from 1977 it seems weird to chuck it now.

Things like weird little fanzines and strange one-offs.... they are well worth holding onto. When you going to see them again? Ebay I suppose but I don't look at ebay much.
              Ugly Things and Kicks are both good. They get very pricey for back issues. I have some around, but can't quite lay my hands on them.
              You got me thinking about my mags now. Don't mean to spam the thread
              Old issues of 'Time Out' are always expensive on Ebay. I think the weekly, throwaway nature of them makes them rarer and harder to find than glossy monthly magS.
              <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

If you are outing old back issues of Ugly Things, pre #20 give me a shout.
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I have The Source issues dating back to '89 and other random mags from the '80s.

If anybody has a spare copy of the Blues & Soul issue feat Bambaataa and breaks I'm interested.
                  LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

The only mag I've been buying over the past few years is Record Collector. Every year or two I freecycle my last copies - also I post here, offering to send out any particular issues to fellow VG+ers for postage only. Which reminds me, I need to do this again...

Comment

Always was a sucker for music magazines - especially when a new one comes out (though that hasn't happened for a while now). Would always buy the first few issues (before it invariably when bust or I bored of it), then keep say the first 3 for posterity, and get rid the of the rest. The only keeper year on year is Wire now. I'll hang on to Mojos for a year - then ditch them all, though I have at last broken the need to buy that every month. I moved Uncut and Record Collector over to digital format a while back which works better - no growing stacks of paper there.
                      "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X