Tedious Turntable Trauma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tedious Turntable Trauma

My turntable that has served me well for around 15 years is starting to misbehave. I'm not an audiophile and it is a fairly bog standard Dual belt drive. It has started to vibrate when spinning, not all the time but it can vibrate to a degree that it makes the needle jump. I would ideally like to avoid getting a new one, as I am attached to this one and I'm also a tight bastard. Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated.

Bearing? I'm no expert either, but after 15 years, the poor thing probably deserves the attention of someone who does understand these things. I'm not one to talk mind. I ran my Rega into the ground, the motor went. Luckily I found someone on eBay selling a motor. A quick solder job and I was back up & running. At the same time. my mate sold all his records, and sold me his Rega to keep me going. I now have a spare for when the current one gives way under the constant barrage of dodgy 45s
    Good luck with it, being without a turntable is a nightmare.
    Cue Mr Eclectiktronic
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I've recently had a dabble in the world of fixing turntables.
      It very quickly became clear that trying to find an individual part was more expensive than buying a whole stereo.
      My problem was a suspected dead head / cartridge / stylus for kit that was discontinued. The combined price of these items individually was over £100, it was obvious pretty quickly that the solution was to buy a whole identical stereo to mine and cannibalise it. For the princely cost of £15

Best of luck, and from my recent experience, don't give up and buy new kit, stay tight!

Comment

What model is it? Duals are almost always worth repairing. Did a mid `70s 12xx series just this week. Built like a tank and just needed some routine maintenance for another 35- odd years` use.

Anyway in this case there are a couple of possible causes:

- platter central bearing needs cleaning and relubricating
        - rubber motor mounts decayed, motor not isolated properly.
        - platter bearing/shaft loose : platter dragging

The first is most likely. Unclip and remove the platter, being careful not to lose any washers or ballraces. Use a smear of light grease after a quick clean of the area. Be careful not to get any on the belt, the motor pulley or the platter rim ; if you do, clean using alcohol.

Post back and tell us how you get on!
        "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

our place is turning into a turntable graveyard. there's a rega planar 3 with (looks like) a broken motor and a knackered Technics SL-1800 which needs a tonearm rewire.

are either of them worth repairing? if so, can anyone recommend a suitable repairer in the london area please and a rough idea of price?
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

If you fancy a go yourself.......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Plana...item2c9de8c4b5
            Got to be worth a cheeky offer
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
            X