RIP Cilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Cilla

I was surprisingly quite upset to just hear of the passing of Cilla Black.
    I think it probably resonates with me as I'm from the generation that grew up watching Cilla, late 60s as a nipper. on Saturday evenings on the sofa with the rest of the family, and as such it is embedded deep down there as early, shared musical experiences. Can't class myself as a massive fan or anything, I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable to provide some top Cilla moments, but this was always and still is my favourite. T'ra luv.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Likewise, so sad , such a voice , rip cilla

Comment

I always liked this bit of pre-school psychedelia: "Listen with your eyes", indeed.
      A friend and I later adapted the chorus into a memorable drinking game involving blue curacao, creme de menthe, campari, advokaat etc.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
        A friend and I later adapted the chorus into a memorable drinking game involving blue curacao, creme de menthe, campari, advokaat etc.
        I can hurl a rainbow?
        https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
        http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
        https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
        https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

My feelings on Cilla have been tainted in recent years, for example I have competed 4 times on BBC Radio 2's Popmaster quiz winning 3 times,
          I secured my Digital radio by correctly answering the 3 In 10 section knowing 3 hits by Deacon Blue, The Animals and Squeeze.
          The only time I was a runner up, winning only a 'Flipper Radio' (a really crap shower radio that didn't work properly) was by struggling to
          answer the 3 in 10 on Cilla hits. I got as far as Alfie then blurted out Anyone Who Had Heart with 2 seconds to go but that 4th illusive
          Popmaster Digital radio was not to be mine, I still need one for the bathroom so will have to try again before the year is out.
          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

RIP Cilla

A VV/VG+ favourite

I love this version of Tim Hardin's Misty Roses, the haunting string intro should be sampled.

"Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Growing up in the 80s, Cilla was somewhat of a staple on TV (and I seem to recall, the highest-paid TV entertainer of the time?). And my parents had a couple of her singles. I always liked this one (superb arrangement/production, too!):

Comment

I think Cilla always knew what side her bread was buttered on didn't she? She'd been well schooled in showbiz decorum by Brian Epstein and never really rocked the boat, although you suspect she'd have occasionally liked to. I suppose I'm with the older school here, Cilla was always just 'there' (thur?) when I was a kid, on the radio, on the telly - you kind of took her for granted.

She was a very good singer given the right song and arrangement (I'm sure we've all seen the clip of Bacharach testing her voice to destruction during the making of 'Alfie'), but like many of her sixties female contemporaries she suffered from uncertain/risk averse management when the seventies came along (although of course it's easy to be wise in retrospect...)

Ultimately those 'Blind Date' years were a waste, I think - good singers should always sing. At that time I was also, like others here I suspect, a little repelled by her endorsement of Thatcher, although thinking about it now, it's easier to understand why a woman of Cilla's (and my mother's) generation might be a little impressed with a woman achieving power after all they'd been through.

I think in her last years, Cilla was perhaps regretting hanging up the mike too early, but it was good to see her finally shaking off the showbiz sanctity, joining in with the loose women and giving some frank and informative interviews - very liberating - I'd have liked to hear more of that stuff...
                you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Blimey. No-one's posted these two yet!!!

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                    Blimey. No-one's posted these two yet!!!
                    ...or indeed, this one....

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

I didn't rate her at all - most of what's been posted is mediocre in my view.
                      I hated Blind Date and her cheap innuendo style.
                      She's a role model in how to use a minimum of talent to maximum advantage.
                      No loss to the worlds of music or broadcasting IMO!
                      Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                        I didn't rate her at all - most of what's been posted is mediocre in my view.
                        I hated Blind Date and her cheap innuendo style.
                        She's a role model in how to use a minimum of talent to maximum advantage.
                        No loss to the worlds of music or broadcasting IMO!
                        you are no fun
                        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                          you are no fun
                          Neither was she (apparently):
                          http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/300...st-celebs.html

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1767356

Marti Caine sounded great though!
                          http://www.popbitch.com/questions/36.../0/sorted.html

Marti Caine, had time for everyone, got on with her job, took people for trips in her rolls royce if they asked, and best of all, skinned up when requested.
                          it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                          take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                            I enjoyed that very much.

Michael Jackson - was completely insane! Asked if he could buy a magazine!( I explained that the ticket covered that)
                            Liz taylor - those violet eyes!
                            Princess Diana - always utterly charming!
                            Jon Bon Jovi - ignorant and nasty with high heels on to make him look taller
                            Brad Pitt - slept all the way to London
                            Jackie Stewart - very rude and impatient
                            Sting- mute
                            Trudi styler - charming
                            Sinead O'Connor - barking mad
                            Madonna- sleepy and uncommunicative
                            Linda Evangelista - Charming and beautiful
                            Naomi campbell - nightmare
                            Prince phillip-Hilarious! I loved him
                            Prince Andrew - Buffoon
                            Spice Girls - Common(inc VB)
                            Diana ross - Diva, likes the boys hates the girls!
                            Mel Brookes - very funny and a really nice guy!
                            Mariah Carey - asleep and dribbling with her mouth open...wish i'd taken a pic!
                            Sarah Ferguson - Attention seeking
                            Cindy Crawford - delightful
                            Richard Gere - nice guy/low key
                            Elton John - tempramental and silly
                            Anna Wintour - exquisite with exemplary manners
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Professional Pilots RUMOUR Network........How did you even come across that?
                              Everyone tear down your own little wall
                              That keeps you from being a part of it all
                              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                              X