Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flattened edge of record

Curious title, eh?

I have a few boxes of copies of an LP I made with a band in the late 80s, the return lot from the distributor. They haven't been stored in optimal conditions through the years.
    When I pulled out a few yesterday, I noticed that the edge of the record was slightly flattened at one place. About 1 cm around the edge, and only 1mm or so. Run-in groove is not affected luckily, but it's visible when you spin the record.
    I pulled a few from another box which seemed OK. One difference I could see was that the flattened records had the kind of inner sleeves with a small rounded section cut off at one of the sides at the opening, and the flattening seemed to match that. The ones that were not flattened had an inner sleeve with straight edges.

Just curious to what has happened. My guess would be pressure combined with some heat, but the particular box actually had the records lying flat which made me fear warp, but no.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

best post ever
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
      One difference I could see was that the flattened records had the kind of inner sleeves with a small rounded section cut off at one of the sides at the opening.
      AKA thumb cut.
      Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

1mm! wow
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I have a few boxes of copies of an LP I made with a band in the late 80s
          could have stopped right there. what is it?
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
            'Invisible Touch' by Genesis.
            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
              Just curious to what has happened. .
              Not a clue, sorry.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                Indie-ish pop, badly produced by owner of local cultish label on which it was released.
                500 copies were pressed, I think 2/3 were returned from distributor. Me and the guitarist took half each, but I think his lot went to recycling years ago.
                There is some interest for it, so I'm not outing it yet :-)
                "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Picked up some copies from another box and most had the same flattened edge. Starting to think now it's a production defect.
                  Something gone wrong when the excess vinyl is trimmed off.

Comment

The thread that keeps on giving.
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

photos please
                      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
                            Simply can't stop laughing. Mrs SK can't see why.
                            Last edited by Shere Khan; 07-08-2015, 07:55 PM. Reason: Mrs SK confusion

Comment

In the offices of the Malmo police Kurt Wallander is called in to speak to his superior officer

Kurt, please sit down.

K.W. What's this about?

Kurt, you've worked a flattened record case before haven't you?

K.W. (looking serious all of a sudden) You know I have

Yes, 1n 96; just before your breakdown. We think there's another flattened record incident.

K.W. What sort of size is it

One Millimetre

K.W. (Incredulously) One millimetre! That's too big! You know it was point five of a millimetre that tipped me over the edge!

Kurt, calm down. Think of Jussi (cut to scene of Kurt's dog Jussi defecating on the beach)

K.W. No way, give it to Lund, or those idiots over at Borgen!

Kurt, they're both in Denmark.

K.W. I don't give a shit! Tell Lund there's a new jumper for her if she sorts the case. He gets up and leaves, slamming the door on the way out

Comment

Working...
                              X