Mystery Single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Single

I found a single on my digging travels today that is something of a mystery. It has four tracks, all of which are cabaret/country style covers of songs from the 1950s and 1960s but the record itself is undated. There is no artist listed (there are two different vocalists - one female and one male) and no song writing credits or producer credits on the labels. The label I am assuming is Mountain Record going by the label itself but that isn't particularly helpful given the existence of Mountain Records. It may be possible that the group is called Mountain, as in it is a Mountain record but I'm not convinced by that. I assume that it came in a picture sleeve which would have more information. The label gives the catalogue number as MSM 002 suggesting there would be another release on the label (although the wax etching gives it as SMM 002). Does anyone on here have any idea who the record might be by, where it is from, what MSM 001 was or when it was released?

Looks definitely like a private press - could be an Irish showband or one of the many 'country' duos that played working mens clubs - probably pressed up in the hope of sales at gigs - those songs are standards in that genre - what other songs are on it?
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Yeah - private press from a working men's club circuit was my guess, certainly has that sound. The other two songs are 'My Last Date' and 'Danny Boy'. As far as these types of singles go it's not too bad but certainly not one I'd reach for too often. Just curious as to it's origin.

Comment

Whoops - I was about to suggest that there were a couple of peeps on here who'd know more about it - I remembered some threads about UK country private press stuff - but research tells me you're one of them! - so I'm sorry for teaching granny to suck eggs Stephen!

FWIW I'd imagine it was a home recording (hence, mono)and a few were pressed up for sale - I doubt there'd be much of a paper trail in terms of copyright/royalties/publishing etc...maybe Fuz can help?...good luck!
        you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Working...
        X