Dope or dopey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dope or dopey?

I know we don't talk about easy around here any more but...

One I picked up in the charity shop today: Edmondo Ros, "Mama loves Pompa".

Anyone know it? Comedy vocal from ol' Pops Ros all about "women's liberation getting out of hand" but with these insane breakbeat breakdowns and screaming hammonds going off all over the place. Treads the fine line between clever and stoopid with no apparent intent but treads it all the same.

Any more "is it dope or is it dopey" nominations...?
    son of stan
    Lonely Jelly
    Last edited by son of stan; 17-03-2005, 12:41 AM.
    Endless Tripe

What's that on SoS?
    Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

What's it on? I was kind of wondering that myself...

No, tis from "Caribbean Ros" on Decca Phase Four (1974).
      Endless Tripe

Comment

Superfly meets Shaft 45? Samples a lot of great tunes but the effect leaves you somewhat nonplussed.

Or I have a Mae West LP with tearing breaks interspersed with her one liners.
        She was born in Greenpoint, Brooklyn you know. Noddaloddapeople know that.
        www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

Not come across that one (but always up for a bit of Edmundo, patchy as his LPs often are) but I think the stoopid/clever line you're talking about is the big appeal of much of the Vinyl Vulture canon: who had the idea of getting Geoff love to do Afro-Funk, and what right had it to actually work? None whatsoever, frankly. Half my favourite records are like this: Peter Thomas, Birds'n'Brass, Happy Monsters (hey, great idea - let's do filthy James Brown knock offs with cowbells & squeaky toy noises all over 'em...), or those cuts where someone thought it was a brilliant idea for old troupers like Andy Williams and Sammy Davis Jr to get with the latest sounds them crazy kids were listening to...the latter's 'John Shaft' is a definite stoopid genius contender (damn right).

Uhm, anyway. Edmundo Ros. I can also recommend his superb rhodes-jazz take on 'Sunny' on the 'Today!' Lp, and many of his early 60s Phase 4 sets like 'Bongos From The South', 'Latin Hits I Missed', 'New Rhythms Of The South' and the like. Loads of Enoch Light style stero panning, clattering percussion, groovy exotica melodies etc. I gather his 'Hair' is worth a punt, too, but I've never had the pleasure of finding one... He did a JA style big-band soundsystem clash with Ted Heath, as well. Obviously a huge influence on the dub scene in its day (OK, I might be exaggerating that last one a bit).
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by sport casual
            Or I have a Mae West LP with tearing breaks interspersed with her one liners.
            She was born in Greenpoint, Brooklyn you know. Noddaloddapeople know that.
            Is that called 'Way Out West', with her doing bizarre covers of 'Light My Fire' and the like? Seen that one around (usually for about £30) and always been intrigued as to whether you'd be talking car-crash or oddball masterpiece...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Over the years i've come across some great oddities...which as SoS quite rightly would say "they're DOPEY"

Anyone got the single about a guy convinced that he's SHAFT?Haven't got it to hand right now but it goes "i'm Shaft!"...."You aint Shaft!!!"(backing vocals)

It's a very touching and moving story where the delusional guy ends up in a mental hospital sharing it with a guy with the worst English accent EVER!!! saying to him...you guessed it...."007 at your service" Wow what a twist

Also has anyone got the Barron Knights version of Uptown Top Ranking called "Boy Scouts out Camping"

Man, thinking about this i have so much stuff that's Dopey that we should have a competition for the DOPEY TOP TEN

It'll have to be after the weekend though for me....

Who's Game?

Meet you guys in the Charts next week...
              Country be dyin like poor people do
              Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
                Also has anyone got the Barron Knights version of Uptown Top Ranking called "Boy Scouts out Camping"
                A work of genius! It's actually really well done too, they do a better job than Althea and Donna did on TOTP anyway!

On the same LP there's a parody of Boogie Nights called Boozy Nights, which in my view has better lyrics than the original........

The Ros/Heath 'Swing vs Latin' LPs that Wayne mentions are weird, very much the sort of thing you'd only have got in the early days of stereo - both bands playing together, with the Heath band from the left speaker, Ros from the right speaker, and the music ping-ponging between the two!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne
                  Is that called 'Way Out West', with her doing bizarre covers of 'Light My Fire' and the like? Seen that one around (usually for about £30) and always been intrigued as to whether you'd be talking car-crash or oddball masterpiece...
                  Not that one, this one:

And, now I see the title: ORIGINAL VOICE TRACKS FROM HER GREATEST MOVIES, I have no reason to call it dopey. Inspired perhaps, for adding the Austin Powers speed breaks in between the one liners.

"It's not the size of your dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in your dog."

All the others seem a bit bawdy. Or am I reading too much into it?
                  www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

I also picked up a popsike record by Freddie Starr in the same shop as the Edmundo. It's called, "Acorn Street" (off "Starr is Born" A&M, 1970).

I think it's intended as a pastiche of "Itchycoo Park" and the likes. No phasing though (pity that, I bet Freddie would have jumped at the chance of pissing on the tape...)

Sample lyric, "I'm thinking on Acorn Street / Smoking my shoelace and tieing my cigarette.."
                    son of stan
                    Lonely Jelly
                    Last edited by son of stan; 18-03-2005, 12:37 AM.
                    Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                    X