X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Strange - recommendations

I pulled this record out over the weekend
    It has its moments
    But it got me wondering if there were any high points of Billy's career that I should be exploring?
    Any pointers?
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

I don't know much about his own recordings - found a few but nothing astonishing - but, as you probably know, he was a top session player (in The Wrecking Crew) and arranger. He's on Pet Sounds, Forever Changes, a lot of Phil Spector stuff. As an arranger, his work with Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood is ace, Some Velvet Morning for example. He arranged for Frank Sinatra too but never got that good with him.
    Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Some great twang and fuzz on this one:

"Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

I have a fairly good Billy Strange collection/interest. This is one of the best:

Transients/Billy Strange: Funky 12 String Guitar

There is a nice looking UK press on London out there on the internet for under a tenner which I think is a bargain.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I love the De Sade soundtrack - an odd mix of dark cinematic themes, lush strings, psychedelic phasing and echoing, manic screams etc. 'Nocturnal Permission' and 'Wine, Women & Roses' are two stand-out cuts from memory. Should also be very cheap whether you go for the former track on 45 or the full LP.

I've also got the LP that Slim Jim mentions above and it's great.
          ...Dreamtime coming

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
            There is a nice looking UK press on London out there on the internet for under a tenner which I think is a bargain.
            I have a copy of this that I will give away gratis to any regular poster who is willing to cover the postage. Speak up, Strangeians.

Comment

Well worth it in my opinion, has a distinctive sound! Tracks are all on YouTube, search for Transients and Billy Strange.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                I have a copy of this that I will give away gratis to any regular poster who is willing to cover the postage. Speak up, Strangeians.
                I'd be up for that sir!
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                  I'd be up for that sir!
                  Tis yours, PM'd.

Comment

Working...
                  X