Would you still buy a record....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you still buy a record....

....that's in front of you even if you knew you could buy it online for a few quid less?

I ask as this is happening a bit more often to me now. My main real world buying option is my fortnightly market visit. Understandably prices have steadily increased over the years so an LP that I may have paid £5 to £7 a decade ago is more likely to be £10 to £15 these days. These are usually LP's that don't have a high price in the RRPG (with which the dealer uses to judge his prices...ie £15 to £25 max) and are always records the dealer has never seen before. He's been doing this a long time so I can understand his logic in thinking that if he hasn't had it previously then its not too common, at least in our part of the world.

So on Sat I paid £15 for an LP that when I got home and checked Discogs two copies were available in the UK for a tenner and £8 respectively. Even factoring in P&P I'm still worse off. The only comfort I have is at least I know the record I bought is clean and I don't have to risk buying a VG+ record online that may arrive in VG- condition.

I'm sure some would pull out their android phone and point out the online price but over the years I've got much better prices because of his lack of checking things online that I'd prefer to keep it that way.

As Mr Sayers said to me "It's swings and roundabouts" e.g. I got a mint 1st Taste LP off the same dealer for a fiver which I'm sure would cost me more online.

So, are others finding the same thing and would you refuse to buy an LP in front of you on principle if you knew it could be bought online, even if it was just a few quid less?
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
    ....that's in front of you even if you knew you could buy it online for a few quid less?

I ask as this is happening a bit more often to me now. My main real world buying option is my fortnightly market visit. Understandably prices have steadily increased over the years so an LP that I may have paid £5 to £7 a decade ago is more likely to be £10 to £15 these days. These are usually LP's that don't have a high price in the RRPG (with which the dealer uses to judge his prices...ie £15 to £25 max) and are always records the dealer has never seen before. He's been doing this a long time so I can understand his logic in thinking that if he hasn't had it previously then its not too common, at least in our part of the world.

So on Sat I paid £15 for an LP that when I got home and checked Discogs two copies were available in the UK for a tenner and £8 respectively. Even factoring in P&P I'm still worse off. The only comfort I have is at least I know the record I bought is clean and I don't have to risk buying a VG+ record online that may arrive in VG- condition.

I'm sure some would pull out their android phone and point out the online price but over the years I've got much better prices because of his lack of checking things online that I'd prefer to keep it that way.

As Mr Sayers said to me "It's swings and roundabouts" e.g. I got a mint 1st Taste LP off the same dealer for a fiver which I'm sure would cost me more online.

So, are others finding the same thing and would you refuse to buy an LP in front of you on principle if you knew it could be bought online, even if it was just a few quid less?
    i always do that. the few extra quid are for the extra fun of real world buying. and of course for the recordshop or for the dealer. i don't mind paying a bit more if i can check, hold and smell the record.
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

yeah, if its there, pick it up. obviously if its £20 there and £5 online leave it. but a couple of quid here or there is fine.
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

For the sake of 1 or 2 quid, you have the record now, instead of 5 days.

Comment

Yes I always prefer to buy in the real world. You can see what you're getting and you're supporting a local business. Any problems and you can take it back.
          As a regular customer I get some brilliant discounts from my local shops.
          A few quid difference is neither here not there to me.

Plus - recently I've had 2 packages go missing in the post. In July my Seeds 7" from Record Collector never arrived and I had to keep emailing to get a replacement.
          Then last week I ordered a £25 7" test pressing which was posted first class and that's not turned up. I'm getting paranoid that someone is stealing my 7"s.
          I'm thinking of stopping mail order for a bit.... I'm disillusioned.
          galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Thanks guys...I'm glad I'm not alone. A part of me feels like you should always get a real world buy for at least the going rate online price (or preferably less) but I do fall into the camp of hating the risk of online buying so just have to get used to occasionally overpaying b/w peace of mind.
            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I think I've had the reverse experience lately. Most buys have been for less than what's available on Discogs, in some cases not even incl. P&P. A lot of records on Discogs are not priced to shift.
              On one hand the record shop offers the convenience factor of inspecting the record and getting it immediately.
              On the other hand the market is so much smaller than the interweb. That means the odds for getting median price are low, unless it's a hot item. The shops where I buy records price them to shift and keep rotating stock.
              The shops where I don't buy fall into either of these categories:
              - vinyl museum, slow moving stock due to unrealistic prices
              - web store front, everything good goes online, the remains pile up in the shop
              ------------------------------------------------------
              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Yeah, I'm doing this more and more if I'm in a shop/stall/dealer that I think needs the support. It's actually one of these things where having instant access to the online price has made me buy MORE things in the wild. Often previously I'd think, oh that'll be cheaper online, so I'd leave it, go home and find it wasn't. Now I can check Discogs or whatever and find, yes, that's a fair price - and go ahead and splash the cash! (Same is true when buying new CDs in Fopp/HMV - or even stuff from a shop like PC World! Increasingly I'm finding the high-street prices are good if not better.)

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep View Post
                  ...hold and smell the record.
                  creep.
                  All the Wolpertingers

Comment

It depends how bad my compulsion is. If its only a couple of quid i'd be hoovering. However the reality of diggin in london, it could well be a quarter of the price online.
                    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I would check online as maybe you I wouldn't have knowledge of pressings and what have you. You get an idea if it's a fair price and if it was a bit dearer in the shop I'd buy it from the shop everytime. If we're talking 10+ I'd try my luck and ask for a better deal.

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                        - vinyl museum, slow moving stock due to unrealistic prices
                        aka 'the Edinburgh Record Shop'
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Wish I had the luxury of a "local" record shop, I'd love it. The reality is I don't, so I buy lots online. It has its down side. This was waiting for me when I got back from Newcastle last week.

[IMG][/IMG]
                          [IMG][/IMG]

You always seem to be picking up good stuff Nige, you seem quite focussed on what you want. If your dealers are coming up with the goods, stick with them. It's an enviable situation, believe me.
                          Everyone tear down your own little wall
                          That keeps you from being a part of it all
                          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't bother for a few Euros more or less, support your dealer, instant gratification and all that.

Comment

always in sight as opposed to on-line - reason for going to Utrecht (OK the Greggs is high on the agenda too), but a check of the vinyl and a quick spin does it...

I loath paying the postal company a ten spot when the seller in person could get five...

@treeboy - only had a couple like that, but a few more badly described... along with sound clips passed through a filter...
                              "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Working...
                              X