Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown 60s/70s band: Stoned Rose??

Guys,

Has anyone of heard of , or seen a CD of previously unreleased tracks by Preston-based band STONED ROSE - operating in the late 60's/early 70's and with a member called Chris Cross that went on to be in Ultravox?

My Dad-in-law was in them (replaced by Chris Cross when he went to uni i believe), and recently heard that a session they recorded (that he thought was lost forever) may possibly have made it to CD in Japan?

Anyone heard of these dudes?
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Yes, this rings a bell. I seem to recall reading something about Stoned Rose in one of the inkies back in the seventies, 'Sounds' probably. I think it was a special 'pullout' section dedicated to bands that were tipped for success in the following year, this would have been about 73 or 74? It may not have been a bonafide section of the paper, perhaps an 'advertorial' sponsored by some instrument/equipment manufacturer or other?

Very hairy fellows (sideburns and moustaches to the fore) if memory of the accompanying picture serves, quite possibly looking a little dated even for those times! Don't think I ever heard any of their stuff though. I think the only reason I remember this at all is that when I first read of a goth band called 'The Stone Roses' in about 1984, it occurred to me I'd heard of a similarly named band before!
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

It was supposed to be on Ammonite Records from Preston. "From Dawn To Jane" Cat # AMMO2. Comped from 2 acetates and a reel to reel with 3 live tracks. Limited to 300 cds. Supposed to have been released around '98. Did it ever come out?
      Actually never heard of them before Joe, info found here http://www.ultravox.org.uk/ImageFoli...-issue-web.pdf
      I'm sure you have probably found this already. Sounds interesting, got me curious now, which is why I've piped in, hoping some better informed soul can shed some more info.
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Very interesting - cheers guys. I would love to get hold of the recordings for Dad-in-law and myself to listen to. He'z a whizz a smooth Dad guitaring these days, but I'd love to hear him in his hairier period!
        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

You could try to track down Ian @ Ammonite Records who appears to be behind the possible reissue. He's quoted in a few places like here and here.

I'm curious to know if he's the Ian (as mentioned here) from the band on the first cd issued on the label. A long shot, but you never know.
          It's possible that the later releases on the discogs label page is from another label with the same name.

Certainly sounds like an interesting release and I hope it turns up!

Comment

Original recordings were for a label called Sky according to this snippet
            https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...op/LcRAZTaQ-HY

Peter Hughes might be a good option if he's still around?
            http://www.rockartistmanagement.co.uk/#!about-us/csxp

Comment

Cracking research chaps - I've a feeling you're gonna get the goods here - I'm just looking forward to a photo to confirm if their hairiness was a figment of my imagination or not!

Comment

I think you deserve a prize GC for powers of recall stretching back over four decades!!! Trying to remember what I did yesterday
                Last edited by treeboy; 27-09-2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Ah, but before you dish out the gongs consider;

a) I may be completely wrong

b) I can't remember what I did yesterday either

Comment

Amazing!! Will try and get in contact with this Ian fella - impressive internet skills on display!
                    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Working...
                    X