James Brown...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Brown...

yeah ok. so its obvious that James Brown is brilliant. but its only recently that ive started to notice just how much James Brown recorded. everything i hear i like. but.. where do you start? i have a few albums like in the jungle groove, black Caesar, the payback and the Polydor James brown comps. but there is so much more. 100s of singles. and even loads of 2 CD comps with unreleased stuff, alternate versions.
    i suppose where to start is the beginning and work forwards....
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Gawd blimey yes, where would you start. Everyone seems to dig this- James tinkling the ivories.

I also like his ecotastic 'People Wake Up and Live'

This thread could be a long one.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

From Slaughter's Big Rip Off, my fave JB tune.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

This is boss

As is this

Comment

Super Bad's my favourite. Maximum tension and release and Maceo's does a short skronky solo after the stabs and the scream that sounds like a pig being a slaughtered.

Also this: can´t think of anyone else who´d order the the rhythm guitarist to play a solo on one note.

I was often surprised by how quickly this unstoppable freight train filled a dancefloor. People just couldn´t seem to resist it.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

The Star Time 4 cd set is a really good overview of virtually his entire career.
            I love the 6' 56" Papa's Got A Brand New Bag, Pts. 1, 2 & 3 .... at the original speed (before they sped it up for the 45).
            galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

SO MANY great tracks - as you say Paul, all through his career & you could do a lot worse than start at the beginning & work forward. In the midst of all the tight uptempo funk tracks don't lose sight of some beautiful soul songs like this one off the 'Hell' LP

My fave dance floor filler

Jazzy epic (sorry about the saxophones...)

Comment

I recently found a 12" for an unreleased Blind man can see it extended version w drum intro and James' instructions.

Comment

Love this.

Comment

love them all. so much music, all so good
                    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

So difficult to single one out, but this reminds me of being 16 in 1986, dancing at the Dog & Trumpet in Cov every Sat night. Brilliant.

Comment

I first got into JB through singles, whcih I still find far more readily than albums. Usually one title split over both sides. Somehow he managed to pack such utter force into those few minutes - he's pne of the few artists where I like both the 45 edit and the longer album versions equally.

Hot Pants pts 1&2
                        I'm a greedy Man
                        Ain't it funky now
                        Payback/My thang - great double sider
                        It's Hell
                        Hot (I wanna be loved) - Bowie Fame riff.
                        There it is
                        Funky President
                        Down and out in NYC
                        I'm shook, off It's a mother
                        Bring it on - an utter tour de force despite being from 83. Great to hear something that raw in the midst of the aftermath of disco.
                        "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                          SO MANY great tracks - as you say Paul, all through his career & you could do a lot worse than start at the beginning & work forward. In the midst of all the tight uptempo funk tracks don't lose sight of some beautiful soul songs like this one off the 'Hell' LP

So many strings to his bow (except maybe he didn't play violin!). He was funk's founding father and soul with a capital S too.

Here is the original from 1961

and I love this

and youtube has just led me to this

Love those Shere Khan selections too.

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                            Bring it on - an utter tour de force despite being from 83. Great to hear something that raw in the midst of the aftermath of disco.
                            Yes

Comment

I know it's not by the Godfather but it's produced by him and it's a total classic

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Working...
                              X