Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stand alone record players

Folks

Could anyone recommend a stand alone record player, you know the kind where there's a built in speaker/s and you don't need a separate amp to plug it into.

I got a nice system at home but my girlfriend is going to let me put one in her place, providing it looks "nice". I appreciate they probably don't sound amazing, probably lacking in bass? But it's better than nothing right.

The old vintage looking ones are quite nice anyone have a one ?
    Thank you

I've got a few. If you can find a nice Hacker Gondolier at a decent price, go for it. Garrard turntable, great warm sound. Option of an external speaker to really beef the sound up a bit. If I was allowed to have any more I'd have an Emerson Hi Fidelity. Another bomb proof banger of a turntable. Made by Decca I think.
    Get down to RPM Jay. I've been upstairs and they have some really good Turntables hidden away. The chap that runs it is really helpful, and enthusiastic about them too. You might run into a few plussers too.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Thanks mate.
      I'll call in during the week...

Comment

Where is this RPM of which you speak?
        The Downstairs Lounge
        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
          Where is this RPM of which you speak?
          Newcastle
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Ah! Thanks. Handy as I am hoping to return soon to complete my Anglican Cathedrals of England tour.
            The Downstairs Lounge
            http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

My Dad had a Telefunken one in the 50s - very similar to this one, though he had it in red:

I can report that it was still working/sounding good into the early 70s...

Comment

First thing to do is avoid all the 'retro' units being made today by the likes of Crosley, Steepletone, etc. Plastic horror, thin, puny sound to match appearence and build.

There are plenty of nice-sounding units from the 'golden era', but most will need a thorough overhaul by now. Just to give you an idea, common problems with the suitcase types are:
                -Defective capacitors and other components in the amp (=no sound, low sound, hum, erratic behaviour and running hot);
                -Mechanical trouble in the deck (=arm not moving freely, arm sticking, auto sequence not working, speed selectors not working properly, tracking poor, records not dropping on changer units, etc)
                -Cartridge trouble (early crystal ones with turnover knob at front of arm mostly now knackered and long obsolete, correct high output replacement types very scarce; others have weak rubber suspension or other disintegration).

I would wholly advise going for a refurbished unit from a reputable tech who will offer some kind of guarantee or at least stand by their work. The Dansettes should be avoided as they are fetching silly money despite 99% of their models being the worst, low end kit of the day; people see the name as it has become associated with the era and has got trendy. Also avoid Philips as they use a proprietary headshell/cart which by now is often duff, and is very costly. I would advise against Fidelity as these, like Dansette, mostly made tat.

You will get more player for your money by looking at late 60s models by Hacker, Bush (I love the SRP31D, 41, 51), HMV, Ferguson, Pye etc. Many of these have a better than average deck with counterweight, cueing lever, etc. Make sure you get one with a proper amp with bass and treble controls, not just a single 'tone' knob.

If space allows consider a 1970s unit with separate speakers, these usually sound a bit better and can be had for cheap.They usually offer more flexibility, having a 'tape/aux' socket to allow connection to a PC or ipod etc. so you could use it as an amp for those devices.
                HTH
                "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                  First thing to do is avoid all the 'retro' units being made today by the likes of Crosley, Steepletone, etc. Plastic horror, thin, puny sound to match appearence and build.

There are plenty of nice-sounding units from the 'golden era', but most will need a thorough overhaul by now. Just to give you an idea, common problems with the suitcase types are:
                  -Defective capacitors and other components in the amp (=no sound, low sound, hum, erratic behaviour and running hot);
                  -Mechanical trouble in the deck (=arm not moving freely, arm sticking, auto sequence not working, speed selectors not working properly, tracking poor, records not dropping on changer units, etc)
                  -Cartridge trouble (early crystal ones with turnover knob at front of arm mostly now knackered and long obsolete, correct high output replacement types very scarce; others have weak rubber suspension or other disintegration).

I would wholly advise going for a refurbished unit from a reputable tech who will offer some kind of guarantee or at least stand by their work. The Dansettes should be avoided as they are fetching silly money despite 99% of their models being the worst, low end kit of the day; people see the name as it has become associated with the era and has got trendy. Also avoid Philips as they use a proprietary headshell/cart which by now is often duff, and is very costly. I would advise against Fidelity as these, like Dansette, mostly made tat.

You will get more player for your money by looking at late 60s models by Hacker, Bush (I love the SRP31D, 41, 51), HMV, Ferguson, Pye etc. Many of these have a better than average deck with counterweight, cueing lever, etc. Make sure you get one with a proper amp with bass and treble controls, not just a single 'tone' knob.

If space allows consider a 1970s unit with separate speakers, these usually sound a bit better and can be had for cheap.They usually offer more flexibility, having a 'tape/aux' socket to allow connection to a PC or ipod etc. so you could use it as an amp for those devices.
                  HTH
                  Thank you sir

Comment

If you can find one in nice condition some of the mid to late 70's flat deck jobbies with built in radio and tape can be quite good (you'll probably never use the tape but it will look cool). A mate had a Sony one in stunning condition I was envious of for years, cost him a fiver at the time in the early 90's. Still prices have dropped again on vintage hifi.

Top post by 'eclectiktronik' too, lots of useful info regarding makes I didn't know eg: Phillips.

I wish I could refurb record players but mechanics leave me baffled, more handy with a soldering iron and a can of servisol. Its like some people can look at these things and create an exploded diagram in their brain.
                    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I'll echo that, wise words indeed from Eclectiktronik, which I can back up by saying that I bought a Hacker Grenadier off ebay for £25, running, but no sound. Took it around to a clever chap I know who can read the schematics like a newspaper, and in no time at all, we had a couple of new capacitors in, and a tremendous warm valvey sound coming out.
                      Jay, RPM have soume lovely Dual turntables with built in amp squirrelled away upstairs. Wish I had somewhere like that down here. Audio Gold has lots but £££££££££££!
                      Keep us up to date of any purchases.
                      Everyone tear down your own little wall
                      That keeps you from being a part of it all
                      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                      X