Discogs Moral Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogs Moral Dilemma

About a month ago I ordered a couple of records from a seller on discogs. He is a UK seller so when, after a couple of weeks they still hadn't arrived I got in touch. They hadn't been marked as sent but not everyone does. After a couple of days he got back to me saying he had been in hospital having cancer treatment. Bloody hell, I said. He said he was sorry and he would cancel the order. I told him I've been through it and know what it's like, and that I was in no hurry, so if he could post the records within the next two weeks that would be fine, or cancel; it was up to him. Two days later they were marked as sent. About ten days later they still hadn't arrived so I got in touch with him. "Had he sent the records"? "maybe he'd just marked them as sent, intending to do it later"? He got back to me. Sorry, he'd "been in hospital with his son who was having brain surgery". At this point I wanted to say, "stop taking the piss mate and just refund me"! He said someone had been left in charge and he'd chase them up to see what had happened. I said, "Okay, but let me know by Saturday at the latest" which was two days later. Heard nothing. I got in touch again. "Time to cancel this" I said. Heard nothing. I'm now thinking it's time to go to paypal. It's not huge money but I think he's having a laugh. Cancer, and brain surgery; it could happen, I suppose- hence my dilemma. If he was in straits I don't see why he'd still have all his stock up for sale-which he does; it's easy enough to take it down. I also notice that he was able to submit a record 13 days ago because he wanted to put a copy up for sale. So is it time to go to paypal?
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Yes. If it was about a month ago then definitely.

Comment

Yes. Deffo taking the michael.

Comment

You've given him the benefit of the doubt and been more than understanidng. Time for the transaction to reach some sort of final conclusion.
        galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Thanks chaps, you've convinced me.I'm thinking I'll send one last message tomorrow saying I'm intending to put in a paypal dispute on Wednesday unless I hear something to make me change my mind. If he really is having these problems I'd just say, forget it, I don't care, it's only money, you've got enough on your plate; but there's no way of knowing. I always sign off with my name but I don't even know his because he just signs off with "apologiez", or "sorru"!

Comment

Oh man! Sounds like a big load of cr+p to me! Any clues in his feedback? Also have you tried the Discogs Forum? It's always been of great assistance when I've had any problems as they have thousands of members ready to offer advice. I had a similar problem recently: placed a large order and the guy gave me all sorts of excuses including the package was too heavy for him so he'd post it the next day which he didn't. The general consensus was you need to be polite but firm so after a week to ten days of excuses I said 'I would like to please cancel the order' and within a few hours he'd magically posted my batch of records! Hope this helps.

Comment

I may be wrong on this one but doesnt paypal ask you to try to resolve the issue via their customer thingamajig anyway? They give the seller an apropriate time to answer and if that gets ignored you usually get your money back easy but for that they want the messages to go through their system.
              I have patiently waited three weeks for this guy on discogs to ship my stuff and then something like an additonal two weeks for paypal.
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

And then you have losers like me Cacapo...
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunate One View Post
                  Oh man! Sounds like a big load of cr+p to me! Any clues in his feedback? Also have you tried the Discogs Forum? It's always been of great assistance when I've had any problems as they have thousands of members ready to offer advice. I had a similar problem recently: placed a large order and the guy gave me all sorts of excuses including the package was too heavy for him so he'd post it the next day which he didn't. The general consensus was you need to be polite but firm so after a week to ten days of excuses I said 'I would like to please cancel the order' and within a few hours he'd magically posted my batch of records! Hope this helps.
                  Yeah, it does sound odd doesn't it- but his feedback is/was good. It stops about end of august. Hence my dilemma; it sounds far-fetched but it just could be true. Anyway I sent him my ultimatum this morning so we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                    I may be wrong on this one but doesnt paypal ask you to try to resolve the issue via their customer thingamajig anyway? They give the seller an apropriate time to answer and if that gets ignored you usually get your money back easy but for that they want the messages to go through their system.
                    I have patiently waited three weeks for this guy on discogs to ship my stuff and then something like an additonal two weeks for paypal.
                    That's how it works but I thought we could do it without that either by him sending me the records or by cancelling the order and refunding me. As I said, if he's got time to submit entries to discogs so he can then sell them he must have time to push the cancel order button.

Comment

I love you man.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

The case mentioned above got really weird. After I filed the complaint with paypal (4 weeks or so in) I got the records I ordered, yet one broke in transit. Avoidable if he had packed them a bit more careful I thought but seing how my half dozen request were ignored I just left it at that.
                        So a few weeks later he marks the order as "sent" at this point I had completely forgotten about the thing but the reminder led to me leaving negative feedback. 30 minutes after, I get a message politely apologizing for the broken record mentioned in the feedback and offering refund. I ignore that and 1 hour later I get 10 Euro payalled. 3 messages later (all within the same day) all asking for the negative to be removed I have a full refund plus 20 euro extra. Turns out I gave the feedback at the end of the 90 day period and after midnight it couldnt be removed.
                        I did however erase it because free records are always good.
                        All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                          The case mentioned above got really weird.
                          I had one like that. One South African seller sent me two records one of which, described as mint, was VG at best. I sent him some photos and he apologised and refunded me more than the whole transaction. I refunded most of it back to him because the other record was okay. I hadn't said anything about leaving negative feedback. There are some odd fish about for sure.
                          The clock's ticking on my ultimatum- haven't heard anything from him. Probably having a heart transplant.

Comment

The seller had a bike accident followed by a "family incident". I told him I would consider removing the feedack after a bike tour to my mom.
                            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

The amount of times I've had the 'family bereavement' , 'been in an accident/ill' , 'a relative is seriously ill' message makes me always question its authenticity but you've been more than understanding, probably gone above and beyond in my opinion. Why people feel the need to make up this bullshit perplexes me just be honest either say I forgot, sold it to someone else, lost it, broke it whatever and refund. Probably because they know any half decent person has to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Funny thing with telling lies even little white ones when you consciously attempt not to do it I found personally my life became strangely easier and better.

Saying that I forgot to post a record once and fessed up and the buyer gave me a right old nasty bit of feedback when he got his vinyl. This was early ebay days and I wasn't the most reliable person then to say the least so I probably deserved it.
                              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Working...
                              X