Sounds Superb in Hoxton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds Superb in Hoxton

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but there's an ad around at the moment for what I presume is some online clothing company. It features fashionably bearded young East Londonish chaps doing whatever fashonably bearded young East Londonish chaps are meant to do these days: boxing in a gym, visiting a cocktail bar, huddling round a brazier (?), playing ping-pong (??) that sort of thing.

Inevitably, they visit a club and we're treated to a brief flash of a spinning platter. It's unmistakably a Sounds Superb, so my question is: what could there possibly be on the lable that might appeal to such a demographic? One of the Motown reissues for nostalgia value? A Jack Parnell's TV / film score set for the ironists? Personally I'm rather hoping it might be Assegai's Afrorock. Any other ideas?

Of course, any suggestion that it might simply be something obtained at random for pennies and slung on by a director expecting no-one being tragic enough to notice / care is the kind of cynicism that has no place on this board.
    Gosh, golly that was a weird one. Have I got time to go and take some more acid?

Anyone got a link to the advert? I'm gonna say

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Always near the front of my hypothetical Hoxton hotbox

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Here we go. The record appears around 21 secs.
        Gosh, golly that was a weird one. Have I got time to go and take some more acid?

Comment

cheers, Plushpig. Thanks to Jacamo I can now look like the hipster I always thought i was.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Comment

There is also no cartridge on the deck. Possibly the best way to listen to most Sounds Superb LPs?
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Holy Cow.

Comment

For some reason this has reminded me of Fresh & Fly's performance at the end of term Grange Hill show - check poor old Danny Kendall's moves on the decks at around 20 secs in - obviously an influence on the Aphex Twin's DJing styles. That label must sound ace!!

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I don´t think that´s a brazier, by the way. It´s a portable fire pit.

Obviously a brazier is a portable fire pit, but one that is generally surrounded by picketeers, nightwatchmen and homeless drunks rather than glamping hipsters.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Assagai?
                      Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

"Ready for whatever"
                        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

I've spent hours examining the shape of the text on all my Sounds Superb labels to determine that it's definitely this one:

An excellent record for getting your partner into a love mood. Where do I buy a jacket?
                          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Jacamo?...Isn't that clothes for fat blokes?...Where's Johnny Vegas?
                            you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                              There is also no cartridge on the deck.
                              All "hipsters" carry their own carts.

Comment

Working...
                              X